description

─☼☼☼─

Mike and Anna Carrera had always wanted what was best for their two daughters.

They had worked years to build a life for them that mimicked the life Anna once lived as a child on the Figure 8.

Their youngest daughter, Kiara, resented all that was Kook life. Giving it all up for a life as a Pogue. Her actions baffled her parents, neither of them understanding what had gone so wrong.

But unlike Kiara, their eldest daughter, Charlotte, had given into the desires of her parents. She had become a Kook─ or she became the best version of a Kook that she could. 

Charlotte did her very best  to maintain any ounce of morality and self-awareness, never letting herself become to enamoured with the glitz and glam... but nonetheless, she was still a Kook.

She spent most of her time on the Figure 8, occasionally venturing to the Cut to party with her sister's best friends. But those occurrences became few and far between as she grew older- grew more ingrained in all that was Kook life. 

Her best friends were Kooks, the people she saw everyday were Kooks, and her boyfriend- sorry ex-boyfriend- was prince of the Kooks if there ever was one.

Rafe Cameron.

The history of Rafe Cameron and Charlotte Carrera was a rather once smooth-turned muddied- history.

The two had known each other their entire lives. But it wasn't until ninth grade that they became something more. Quite honestly, Rafe Cameron had been the last person Charlotte expected to fall for. He was a complete and utter douchebag, but somehow he had won her over.

Those four years were some of the best and worst of Charlotte's life.

She loved Rafe with all of her heart, but hated the person she was turning into when around him. Sure, any person with eyes and a heartbeat could tell that Charlotte Carrera made Rafe a better person─or as better of a person as she could manage─ but there were still certain instances where Charlotte's influence on Rafe was nothing compared to the influence he had on her.

Slowly, her standing with Kiara and the Pogues began to fall. These kids that she had looked at as surrogate younger siblings soon became virtual strangers. She saw them a few times a year if lucky.

By the time college rolled around, Rafe and Charlotte were already treading on thin ice. He had become a mere shadow of the boy she once fell for, and she hated who she had become more than she hated who he had.

By the end of their freshman year, Rafe Cameron had flunked out of college. Meanwhile, Charlotte was thriving more than she ever had before. Rafe resented her for that—jealous of her success.

The Cameron boy turned to drinking and drugs. His behaviour soon became something Charlotte refused to put up with. It seemed that every night he was either yelling—or slurring— at her over the phone. And finally, she snapped.

To say their breakup was messy would be an understatement. The two went from being madly in love to loathing each other. A mere day after they had broken up Charlotte had heard stories of Rafe with another girl draped all over him. She had to hand it to him, he never spent the night with any girls while they were together. But knowing there was another girl in his bed the moment she called it quits stung more than she would like to let on.

Charlotte did her best not to let it effect her. But, it did hurt. As much as she hated to admit it sometimes, Rafe Cameron was her first real love. While it seemed to many that their relationship was nothing but a pass-time, something to keep them occupied until college, Charlotte could confidently say that it had been much more than that.

She hoped Rafe would say the same- she wasn't very sure.

So, needless to say that the start of summer meant two things; Charlotte would be back in the Outer Banks. And two, she would inevitably be forced back into close proximity with none other than Rafe Cameron.

What Charlotte did not expect, however, was to be pulled into a search for four hundred million dollars with the people her ex-boyfriend hated more than anything.

Conflict was on the horizon, that was for sure.

─☼☼☼─