ten.

─☼☼☼─

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙊𝙏𝙏𝙀 𝙒𝘼𝙎 𝘽𝙊𝙍𝙀𝘿 out of her mind as she stood around one of the many tables, listening as two girls she went to high school with told her all about what they had been up to the past year. 

She wanted to be interested in what they were saying, but she simply couldn't. 

Her mind was on Rafe. Just like it had been for the entirety of the night. She'd avoided him since their dance together, but could feel his eyes on her almost everywhere she went. 

When she glanced over her shoulder, his eyes were on here.

"So, what about you, Charlotte?" Sloane Biggs asked, her bright red lips forming into a smile. "How was your first year at college?"

She tore her eyes away from Rafe, plastering a forced smile onto her face. "It was-uh- yeah, it was good."

"Did you join any sororities?" Lilia Costa was watching Charlotte with an excited look. 

"No." Charlotte answered with a small shake of her head. "But I joined a few students organizations...those were fun."

Lilia's smile had fallen slightly as she nodded. "I'm going to try out the Greek scene next year. I think I would really like it."

"My mom was in one." Sloane commented. "She would probably kill me if I didn't join the same one as her."

Charlotte smiled, but her attention had drifted elsewhere. 

This time when she looked toward Rafe, he wasn't watching her, but rather watching someone as they disappeared into the Island Club. 

From the back of the person's head, Charlotte knew it was JJ. She wasn't sure when he got here, or why he was here, but he was here. And he was in trouble. 

Rafe, Topper, Kelce and another two of their friends took off after him, causing Charlotte's stomach to flip.

Not again.

"Hey, Lilia, Sloane? It's been really nice catching up with you two, but I've gotta go." Charlotte muttered, already beginning to step away from the table. 

Not waiting for a response from either of them, Charlotte took off toward the building, her heels clicking across the floor as she went. 

Her heart began hammering in her chest as she pushed through the crowd of unsuspecting party-goers. She wished for just one night she could have fun like them instead of breaking up yet another fight. 

But she wasn't going to sit back and drink her fruity drink while JJ was outnumbered five-to-one. 

Just as she reached the doors that led into the Island Club, a tan-skinned, blonde haired figure stepped in front of her. "I need to talk to you."

Charlotte almost audibly groaned as she went to reach around the person. "Willa, not now, please."

"Charlotte, you can't ice me out too! I had no idea that Kensington did that. You have to believe me!"