𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

𝙋𝙐𝙇𝙇𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙐𝙋 𝙏𝙊 Barry's trailer now, so much was different from a year ago.

Rafe and Charlotte weren't making a quick pitstop before their high school graduation party, they weren't cracking jokes and stealing kisses. In fact, Charlotte was pretty sure she was currently being held captive.

"I'm fairly certain this is considered kidnapping." She announced, leaning forward slightly from the back seat. "Which, according to my freshman law professor, is an indictable offence...felony if you will."

Barry spun on her, the barrel of his gun pointed directly at her head. "Shut the hell up."

"Hey." Rafe snapped, jarring the truck into park before reaching out to yank Barry's arm down. "Don't fucking speak to her like that."

Charlotte rolled her eyes as she slumped back in her seat. "I appreciate your chivalry, Rafe, but you're quite literally holding me captive."

Rafe sucked in a breath, seemingly trying to resist snapping. "I am not holding you captive, Lottie. I just─I need to think."

"So that's why the child locks are on so I can't get out, right?" She challenged, earning a glare in response. 

Barry let out a low whistle as he shook his head with a humourless laugh. "Damn, Country Club, your girl is a fucking headache."

It was Charlotte's turn to glare. "I'm not his girl."

Another laugh bubbled from Barry's lips. "Trouble in paradise, lovebirds? You really think this bitch is going to stay loyal to you? The minute we let her out of here she's running off to tell her little friends to get the hell out of here."

"Hey, Barry." Charlotte started, leaning forward with an innocent smile. "I already texted them." Her tone was mocking, and it caused Barry to let out a deep breath through flared nostrils.

"I'm done with this shit." He declared, switching off the child locks before hopping out of Rafe's truck. "Deal with her on your own."

As he disappeared into his trailer, an uncomfortable silence settled across the truck. This was the first time Rafe and Charlotte had been alone since he had killed Peterkin. It was the first time she had spoken to him at all.

Neither of them seemed to know what to say. It didn't help that their reunion was under less than optimal conditions, considering Rafe and his drug dealer had basically just kidnapped her.

Charlotte knew she should just get out of the truck before Rafe could even say anything, but a part of her wanted to hear what he had to say. And the weakest side of her just liked being near him again, even if she could partly not stand the sight of him.

Finally, he turned to look at her, his eyes roaming her entire body before landing on her face. "It's good to see you, Lottie."

That was it. The smarter part of Charlotte's brain finally took over.

"I'm not doing this." Her voice was low as she turned and opened the car door, jumping out of the truck before slamming the door behind her.