1. Daytime Nightclub

August, 2018

August, 2018

Ingrid's confidence waned with every echoing step she took into the empty nightclub. Devoid of loud noises and human bodies, the cavernous Art Deco establishment looked haunted in the daytime.

"I'll set the bait," Mr Tran whispered. "You reel him in."

She nodded, unnerved by the cleanliness. The cool air didn't smell of sweat, nor did her stilettos stick to stains on the dancefloor. The polished surface reflected a dark, upside-down version of Ingrid, like some eerie out-of-body experience. Her breasts nearly spilled out of her blouse, but she fought the urge to button up her blazer. After all, 'tits in bars' had been her own idea.

"If he keeps us waiting much longer," Ingrid muttered, lifting her eyes from the black-and-gold tiles, "I'm liable to raid his bar."

The veined marble countertop stood unmanned under the elegant light fixtures glittering on the ceiling.

"Theo Tran!" a disembodied voice resounded from above – the divine intervention of none other than Roy Lewis, Aussie god of booze and raves. "I can't believe it!" He bestowed a benevolent grin upon his guests as he gripped the golden handrail of the club's upper level.

Mr Tran saluted. "The one and only."

Roy laughed and barrelled down a forged-iron spiral of steps. "What about Theodore Jr, you old geezer?"

The men shook hands, hugging.

"My boy's Teddy," Mr Tran answered. "Living the London life in the motherland. Speaking of which – " He turned to Ingrid.

She smiled. Roy's eyes undressed her.

"This is my associate, Ingrid Astor," Mr Tran said. "Ingrid, meet Roy Lewis, the man who can make all your dreams come true."

Ingrid forced a chuckle as she held out her hand. Roy kissed it. Her cheeks hurt from the fake amusement.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr Lewis."

"It's Roy for you, darlin'." He winked. "London, huh? Welcome to Oz!" His biceps wobbled as he opened his arms wide.

Ingrid found it hard to believe that this portly man in Bermuda shorts and polo shirt owned Australia's biggest chain of adult entertainment venues. Though she knew better than to underestimate lewd lizards lurking beneath harmless-grandpa façades.

"Thank you, happy to be here," Ingrid replied. "London was one of my longest pit stops, but I came out here from New York, actually."

Roy's eyebrows rose with surprise.

"Ingrid's a nomad," Mr Tran clarified. "She's made the globe her oyster."

"Is that so? But enough small talk!" Roy clapped his hands together. Solid gold rings choked his fat fingers. "Can I get y'all a drink?"