29. Family Drama

July 2018

July 2018

After yet another sweaty Saturday at the dojo, Hana and Ingrid walked to the Eketone residence together, chattering about books, coffee, and anything in-between. Their conversation about Japanese literature came to an abrupt halt, however, as they entered the quaint family home.

The two brothers were in the middle of a heated argument, clutching at each other's shirts.

"Mattie!" Hana called out, to no avail. "Ollie, stop this!"

Ingrid lingered befuddled in the background. It felt like she was trespassing on a private scene and had no right to intervene. Her heart broke, though, seeing the three Eketone kids hiding behind the sofa. Hana must have spotted them, too, because she rolled up her sleeves and cracked her knuckles.

"All right, we're going in," she told Ingrid.

"He was my father, too!" Matt was now yelling at his brother.

"No, your father abandoned our mother!" Oliver hollered back.

Matt almost landed a punch, except it seemed like he changed his mind at the last minute. The confrontation continued with loud clashes.

"Remember the trip-and-tackle knockdown?" Hana spoke in Ingrid's ear.

Ingrid nodded.

"You take Ollie, I'll do Matt. On three."

"Got it."

Hana made another attempt at breaking up the fight, quickly slipping between the brothers as they separated for a second. Ingrid followed her lead and tried to push Oliver away. His crazed eyes and rage-red cheeks told her it'd be a futile effort. Oliver, just like Matt, strained to get past her and at his brother.

The women locked gazes. Hana counted with subtle nods and on the third one, before Oliver even knew what hit him, Ingrid swiped his leg out from under him and tackled him to the ground. Good thing the Eketones had a spacious living room and soft carpets.

"And stay down," Ingrid murmured over Oliver's lips as she was pinning him to the floor, one hand on his neck and one knee between his thighs.

His first instinct was to pry the fingers off his throat, and she loosened her grip without budging. Then he sighed, peering at her through his eyelashes.

"It's going to be a bit hard," he mumbled, "to stay down at this rate."

Ingrid giggled. "You better keep it in your pants, Uncle Ollie, the kids are watching."

"Shit." He closed his eyes. "Fuck. They should have never had to see this."

Behind them, Matt and Hana were getting up, hugging it out, and going to see to the kids. Hana smiled gratefully at Ingrid as she balanced her youngest son in her arms.

"Now it's time for you to tell me what the fuck that was all about." Ingrid leapt to her feet and held out her hand, helping Oliver up.

They retreated with coffees on the deck, out of sight and earshot.