9. Honey Milk

September 2018

September 2018

It felt surreal for Ingrid to be sitting at a hotel bar near Bucharest airport. She twirled her little coffee cup between her fingers, still unable to comprehend what had possessed her to accept Filip's invitation.

Beside her, Oliver checked his wristwatch. "I should probably get going." He hopped off the stool, slid into his jacket and leaned in to peck her forehead. "Thanks for the coffee. See you in Paris."

She pulled him down to kiss him on the lips, then straightened his tie. "Have a safe flight."

Winking, Oliver grabbed his suitcase and headed for the exit. He didn't look back as she glanced at him over her shoulder. He never did – one of his many personal rules that he stuck to without fail. Frail from nerves and jetlag, Ingrid detested his discipline more than ever.

Chin up & kick ass, a text popped up as she refocused on her phone. I'll see you on the other side xo

As always, Oliver knew exactly what she was thinking. Ingrid smiled to herself.

I don't fucking deserve you, she typed back.

A single pixelated heart from Oliver set her beating one at ease, and she returned to her coffee. Filip and his parents were supposed to show up any minute now. She debated whether it was too early for a tequila shot with her caffeine as she raised the cup to her lips.

"Ingrid?"

Spooked mid-sip, Ingrid nearly choked on her cappuccino. She lowered her cup on its saucer and cleared her throat, grabbing a tissue to dab her lips.

"Hey, sorry to startle you. It's... Filip."

Ingrid slowly swivelled on the bar stool. The last time she'd seen Filip ten years ago, he'd been a scraggy youth with greasy hair. He used to have zero fashion sense and shower only when prompted.

Now...

Well, now he wore a stylish coat over his V-neck jumper moulded to his sturdy shape. His brilliant, pearly-white smile paired well with his sexy-teacher glasses and a messy-chic mop of hair. Ingrid could hardly believe her eyes.

"Hi," she mumbled, relieved he'd started the conversation in English.

"You... look great," he added, sizing her up.

She mustered a smile. "Thanks."

"I, uh..." He flapped his arms. "I don't know what else to say." Awkward chuckle. "I parked the car just outside if you'd rather just get going."

Ingrid frowned. "You parked the car?"

Filip's parents should have driven up to Bucharest this morning, to collect their son from the arrivals gate and pick Ingrid up from her hotel. Evidently, something had changed in that arrangement. Would she have to sit alone with Filip in a car for hours?