Chapter 30: Dinner and a Movie

PLEASE READ- IMPORTANT!

Okay, so everyone's been asking about how many chapters are left in this book. There are 2 chapters left and an epilogue. I know, I know- I didn't realize it until the last chapter. However, I will be posting my new book soon, so keep an eye out for that, not that I won't shamelessly advertise in the next few chapters. :)

Apparently, I was gone so long that people are forgetting the main characters of the book, so I'll tell you who's who:

Maddox: Olivia's bae (main character)

Olivia: Maddox's bae (main character)

Nick: Likes Cassidy, is a best friend of the two main characters

Cassidy: Likes Jackson, is also a best friend of the two main characters

Winona: Is dating Isaac, is yet another best friend of the two main characters (so many best friends)

Jackson: Is still in search of a significant other, is the fourth and final best friend of the group (why can't I have this many friends?)

Abel: Maddox's brother, a pretty snazzy dude

Isaac: Winona's bae, Cassidy's brother

Raven: Maddox's ex, but don't yall worry, she's cool with Olivia.

Parker: A group friend, closer to Raven, also known as the guy who sparked a jealousy flame in Maddox's soul.

I think that's all. Anyway, enjoy the chapter. Next update: next weekend.

Chapter 30: Dinner and a Movie

Maddox pulled up to an impressive restaurant on the other side of town. It was a half hour ride, which was filled with nervous chatter and curious questions. While Maddox talked to the man in the front about a reservation, I looked around the restaurant, noticing that everyone in there was either old or professional, or both of them. I looked at Maddox and he seemed to have noticed this, too, because he had furrowed eyebrows when he turned around.

He slowly led us to a table, trying his best not to bump into anything. “All of this stuff costs more than my life,” he muttered once we sat down in the middle of the restaurant. I chuckled quietly, a bit scared to make any noise.

We examined the menus set out for us and I immediately looked up with wide eyes when I saw the prices. “This stuff is really expensive, Maddox,” I whispered and he shrugged.

“Would I have taken you on the date if I didn’t have the money?” he asked me with a smile. I sighed and looked at the menu, deciding to order the soup, which was one of the cheapest meals. I felt awkward as the older people around us glanced at us with curious and slightly judgmental expressions.

Our food was delivered to us while we sat in silence, exchanging glances as the adults around us stared. Maddox’s eyes were fixed on something behind me though. “He’s been eating that same piece of steak for ten minutes,” he whispered and I turned around to see an old man in a suit slowly chewing as he held a fork in his hand.

I meant to soundlessly chuckle but it came out as a loud laugh, followed by a snort. And as if we weren’t already under the scrutiny of almost everyone in the restaurant, a few more heads turned and Maddox smiled at me. “Caroline and Abel came here?” I asked Maddox after apologizing to the watching people. Maddox simply shrugged.

“I guess,” he replied as he looked around.

“This doesn’t seem like somewhere they’d come on a date though,” I spoke.