CHAPTER ONE 🐾

Holly Hill Veterinary Hospital

2021.

Oh, that's a lot of blood.

Breathe, Ellie.

Just breathe.

My eyes lock on the gigantic dog who's currently bouncing around the examination room, acting as if it's a game of catch me while I nurse the side of my head.

It all happens so quickly. One minute I'm on my feet, trying my best to stop the dog from moving and the next I'm tripping over the lead rope and falling straight into the sharp edge of the treatment table.

"Ellie!" Dante shouts at me as he's halfway through administrating the pain relief to the ten-year-old rescue dog, Rex, who's now growling playfully and wiggling his backend everywhere. "Are you all right? I told you not to release his shoulders!"

I press my hand against my head, seeing the blood print my skin when I lower my arm to check over my fingers. Oh, and here's the dizziness.

"Oh, my gosh! I step out of the room for five minutes and then look what happens," says Jennifer, the vet nurse in a patronising tone.

Dante looks up at her to smile and I get the usual pang of hurt in my chest. I think he's agreeing with her as usual. Of course he is, because I'm so bloody clumsy.

"I can take you to the hospital if you want?" says Jennifer.

"Oh, no, that's okay," I say a little too brightly, feeling nauseous and quietly shook up by the whole thing. "I'll be fine!"

Dante wipes his wet hands down at the sink when he looks at his girlfriend before studying me. "Thank you, babe. That's a good idea. I want you to go to the hospital to get checked out, Ellie."

"Dante," I say, because hospitals are hard for me and he knows this. "Please—?"

The chestnut in his shiny brown locks really comes to life under the sharp overhead lighting. "No questions. You need someone to look at your head."

I watch the blood drip past my eyelid and know deep down he's right and I need to suck it up, but my fear is very real and he wouldn't usually push it.

"Okay," I say, using the end of the table to pull myself up. "I can take myself."

"Don't be so ridiculous." Jennifer chimes in, her eyes narrowing in on me. "You could end up killing yourself, or even worse, a child!"

I open my eyes a second later to find so much hatred in the depths of her expression. It's not working out for her. Me being around. Her boyfriend's ex-partner who he's taking under his wing.

I don't want any animosity. I understand her troubles. It's not ideal, but I'm grateful for Dante's kindness in my hour of need. And meddling in his relationship is the last thing I want to happen.