CHAPTER TEN 🐾

Collins Harbour Apartment Complex, Bristol

2015.

It's Dante's birthday, and I'm so excited for him. The present this year is a little different. I'm pregnant. Seven weeks, and I can't quite believe it.

I'm shaking like a leaf when he unwraps the tissue paper, so many emotions filtering through my body. Dante's strong hands end up ripping the tissue paper, the excited smile he's pulling telling me he's curious about what's inside.

Our lives are about to change forever.

"Ellie."

He's found it. The pregnancy stick and the baby grow. I shouldn't of worried about his reaction. I'm in his arms and he's pressing his face deep into my neck when he whispers his happy disbelief.

"You're going to be a daddy," I say, and he clings on harder.

He pulls back, laughing with tears wobbling in his eyes. Then he grabs my cheeks and kisses me. "This is amazing."

"Happy Birthday," I say with tears in my eyes too.

The wonder on his face when he rests his hand over my stomach will stick with me forever. It's like he's subconsciously telling me he's got me. That we're a family. The three of us.

"The best birthday present ever," he says, kissing me.

Then he laughs again in his deep, throaty way and makes a giddy noise. My eyes won't leave him. It's addictive to watch him so happy and high on life.

When I'm secure in his arms on our bed, I kiss his neck a few times as he releases a big breath when he nuzzles my forehead.

"A baby," he whispers like he still can't quite believe it's true.

That was me four pregnancy tests ago.

I just couldn't believe it.

It's so comforting when he rubs gentle patterns up and down my arm. I stroke his cheek with the back of my fingers. "Our little one won the genetic lottery with you."

He's grinning, teeth white and slightly crooked. "The lucky little bugger."

I push him and he starts chuckling before wrapping his arms around me. "We both have blue eyes. Does it mean they will?" he asks.

I'm picturing a chubby little baby with brown curls, smiling at us with his bright pink lips and crystal blue eyes. A clone of the man I love. It's going to be perfect.

My phone is on the side so I grab it and look for reference on google which says the chances are divided. "It says either blue, green or brown here."

"Hmm, okay then," he says, stroking my hip until I roll completely on top of him and nestle my face into my space between his neck and shoulder.