EPILOGUE 🐾

Holly Hill Veterinary Hospital

2023.

Isla Sofia Berone— apple of her daddy's eye is whizzing around Holly Hill Veterinary Hospital's waiting room in her baby walker. All brown curls and dimples as she grins at everyone she passes, purposely banging into Dante's consultation room door to hurry him up.

"Isla," I call and she turns to seek out my voice. "You need to leave daddy alone for a few minutes. He's working, baby."

"Bahanahaga!" she screeches at me, pushing back on her chubby little feet to crash into his door for a second time.

Everyone in here laughs which she loves. It gives her the confidence to start raising hell. The door opens and her head whips around to face her daddy, arms going in the air and body bouncing until he pulls her out and pushes the walker to the side with his foot.

He tickles her side. "That's a lot of noise you're making, darling."

"Da," she says, grunting at the floor. "Da, babababa!"

She's referring to Kibble, the Jack Russell who's currently making a run for the exit. Dante chuckles when her arm reaches out to point, the adorable chuckles escaping her chest forcing a huge smile on my face.

God, do I love that sound.

Isla is eleven months old and our entire world, moon and stars. I know you're bias when talking about your own kids, but she's absolutely gorgeous. The spitting image of Dante, but with big rosebud lips and bright green eyes.

"Let's go to mummy while daddy talks to Mrs Chapel about her doggie," he says, handing her to me to chase after the eager Jack Russell and it's owner.

Isla looks at me with a soft smile which means one thing— follow daddy, please? I don't however, knowing I have to get all our stuff ready for the drive up to York. I was accepted last September and have managed to fit everything around Isla thanks to Dante. And with the university being so close to his parents, it gives us some quality time with family while I take my classes.

"Isla, high five," says Hamish when he passes by us, holding his hand out to which she hits with her fist. "Ah, almost, kiddo."

I put her on my other hip and grab some paperwork. "You're okay handling the last few clients of the day, right? I need to finish packing."

He waves me off. "Go for it."

I give Isla her bath now because by the time we get to York it will be her bedtime. This is her favourite time of the day with her bubbles and bath toys. I'm a soggy mess by the time Dante gets up here to take over while I now have to get changed before packing.

"Look at your hair," he says in his high-pitched voice which has her squealing. "Oh, okay, so we're getting daddy wet too, are we?"

Dante is the best father. The love he shows her is endless and it's adorable.