CHAPTER FIVE 🐾

Easley Veterinary Hospital, Bristol

2013.

My entire body breaks out in a cold sweat when I realise I'm going to have to touch the bleeding cat. It's pretty bad, and he'll need stitches, and it almost sends me over the edge, but I suck it up.

Part of the job.

It's crazy. I'm training to become a vet, yet the sight of anything red sends my stomach weak. The wound is pretty deep on closer inspection, so I pick up the surgical soap, and use it to treat and give me a closer look.

"So, that's good, we're checking for any debris," says Morgan, the head vet at our placement Easley Vet Hospital.

"Good job," whispers Dante, who's standing beside me, taking notes.

My eyes leave the cat for a second to meet his bright blue ones. We smile and I have to look away because everything about him is super distracting.

"There's no debris," I say on closer inspection, "but she may need a few stitches, because cats will always try to clean the area and it slows the healing process."

Morgan beams at me when I step back for her to get a closer look. "Fantastic observation. I agree. It's deep enough. Stitches it is. You can both observe while I grab the supplies."

A warm hand rubs across my back when I step back, and Dante is smiling down at me. It's a soft expression, coated in pride.

"Good job, E," he whispers, checking the coast is clear before kissing me.

I grab the hair at the nape of his neck and gently moan into the kiss before the door rattles and we're pulling back. Dante winks when he steps away from me and towards the table where Morgan is handing the materials to my boyfriend.

"Here you go, Dante. Take the stage," she says, smiling at me when she rounds the table.

I'll never be able to comprehend the amount of care he puts into caring for these animals. The soul of this man is so pure. And I'm the lucky one who gets to share it.

You would never know he's still training by the way he acts around the animals. Dante is a born vet. It's hard not to sigh when he whispers kindly to the animal, doing all the steps with quick precision.

Morgan, who's hovering over his back is grinning. "Absolutely perfect work. Well done to the both of you."

I grab his arm and squeeze once he's removed his gloves and washed his hands. Morgan let's us know we can go once we put the cat back in the kennels. Dante picks him up and kisses behind his ears, asking me to get the door for him.

"We can leave sooner for your parents house," I say, smiling at the vet nurses who are busy working around us.

Dante puts the cat back in the kennel, resting on his good side where the cat snuggles down and starts purring. "Is he singing? After I just stabbed him several times with a needle?"