Prologue II: Self-Proclaimed Saviours

Katsumi was outside. The person standing not too far from her was none other than Fukawa Toko.

Switching while heading over to tell her... what a pain. At least it's advantageous, though.

Toko hadn't noticed her since her back was facing against Katsumi. She had been hunching her shoulders, eyeing her surroundings suspiciously, slowly walking forward.

"Hey."

She suddenly jumped at Katsumi's words, swiftly turning around, staring at her, her glasses going slightly crooked. "Wh-Who the hell are you?!"

Katsumi stared at her in silence for a moment.

Yep, it's her.

She sighed. "Who am I? Let's just say... I'm the one responsible for the capture of Togami Byakuya-kun." She saw Toko immediately take a step back, adjusting her glasses. "I'll keep this simple. He told you and negotiated already, right?"

"Y-You're with that creep?"

"I guess you could say that."

"You g-guess? What kind of h-h-half-assed answer is that?"

Katsumi gazed at the ground, trying to find the right words to say. "Well... how convinced would you be if I said I'm on your side?"

"What the...? Do you really think I'm that much of an idiot?! Didn't you just say you were the one who captured Byakuya-sama?"

"...I said I was responsible, not the one who actually did it."

"Huh?"

"...As in my hands accomplished the deed, but I wasn't the one who wanted it to happen."

"Stop making excuses! In the end, it's just you who's doing it!"

Somehow, those words had struck her a bit hard.

I'm. Not. Her. I'll... never be her.

Katsumi bit her lip in frustration.

"They're not excuses. It's true." Her voice had gotten bitter.

After Toko heard her tone of voice, it looked like a sudden realization hit her.

Normally, any normal person would have been confused, but...

"You realize it now?" Katsumi said. "What I mean is that she captured Togami Byakuya-kun. Or are you going to say that I'm lying?"

"Tch..." Toko looked away, though it seemed like she had given in. "So what? If you're really on my side, what are you going to do?"

"Not much, unfortunately."

"Wh-What?!"

"I know where he is, but it won't do you any good to know. It'd be suicide to waltz straight in. Right now, the only way to get Togami Byakuya-kun back is through those means. Unfortunately, you're still going to have to fulfill your promise through a hostage trade. The only things I can do now are what they want, which means the only way I can help you is to assure that the negotiation goes smoothly, as much as I hate following their plans."