Chapter 3 (II): My Attempt

Komaru and Toko were still standing outside Towa Tower. They weren't looking at each other. The tension was unbearably thick.

Finally, Komaru took a few steps forward, before Toko spoke up. "Hey... where are you going?"

"It has nothing... to do with you." Komaru's voice was blunt. She wasn't even looking at her.

"Nothing to do with me? You've got some nerve, saying that while doing nothing on your own!"

Komaru turned to look at her. "Nothing? You think I've done nothing?" She clenched her teeth, swelling with anger. "It's true that you've saved me a lot, but I've been working hard too, y'know?! Saying that I haven't done anything, that's too far!"

"Hmph, what do you want? You want me to praise you? You want me to say 'thank you'? Too bad. I've never praised or thanked anyone in my whole life."

"And that's why you don't have any friends!" Komaru shouted.

"...What?" Toko's eyes suddenly widened, before she looked down, her gloomy expression returning. "L-Leave me alone... I... I like being by myself. R-Rather than tagging along with someone like you, I'd rather die a solitary death..."

"Someone like me? Meaning what?"

"Someone who always has an excuse. A coward. Using that word 'normal' as an excuse, always getting help from others... You're the type of person who always says, 'There's nothing I can do about it,' right? Tch... You're nothing like your brother. Well, it's not like I really acknowledged him either."

A few hot tears of frustration fell down Komaru's cheeks. "...Fine." She quickly wiped them away, turning around to continue walking forward.

"Like I said... Where are you going?!"

"To find Shirokuma-san."

"You can go back to that dump if you want, it won't make any difference."

"...Better than being here." She kept on walking until she heard Toko's following footsteps. "You don't have to come with me."

"Unfortunately, I can't do that. I have my reasons..."

"...That doesn't make any sense at all..."

Regardless, they moved forward.

/—/

Katsumi was walking down the hallway when she heard a noise nearby. It was coming from the large room. She quietly opened a crevice between the doors and when she peeked inside, she saw Kotoko and Nagisa surrounding Nagito, holding a bunch of pastel crayons and markers, drawing on his face. Monaca was behind them smiling contently while Nagisa looked extremely reluctant.

Kotoko was cackling. "Here, here! Draw a mustache on this side!"

Disappointment was etched across Nagisa's face, but after glancing at Monaca, he continued drawing.

Nagito just sat there, smiling cheerfully.

Katsumi slowly closed the door without them noticing. She leaned her back against the wall, sighing.

"Weirdo."

I should get on with that though...

She walked off, folded blue paper in hand, with hastily scrawled words.

You're being tracked down by the kids. Don't go back to the shelter.

Katsumi sat around, it had been around half an hour since she sent the note.

"Hey." Nagito walked into the room.