56. canary

"WHAT DO YOU THINK of this?" As Jugyeong held up a baby yellow onesie with ducks embroidered all over it, Sua, Yeonwoo, and Sujin squealed.

"Judging from that, it's going in the cart!" Sua declared, dumping it in her shopping cart, which was already overflowing with teensy onesies, stuffed toys, baby hats, and various other baby paraphernalia.

The girls were out shopping for Sua's baby. They were all having the time of their lives, especially since they had access to Suho's black MasterCard.

"He won't be mad?" Sujin questioned, as they waltzed down the aisle.

"Consider this an early baby shower gift from us," Jugyeong said, not even batting an eyelash when Sua swept practically an entire row of baby booties into the trolley.

"Jugyeong, let's go find a baby sling or something," Yeonwoo said, wanting to find an alone moment with her. 

So they went off together. Jugyeong began picking through an assortment of prettily designed baby slings and asked Yeonwoo her opinion of a particular design, but received no answer.

"Can I ask you something?" was what she got instead.

"What's going on, an interrogation?" Jugyeong joked.

"I'm just curious—how much happened between you and Seojun three years ago?"

"You know?" Jugyeong squeaked out.

Yeonwoo arched an eyebrow. "Everyone knows."

Jugyeong sighed. "It was two years ago, nothing happened! He told me it was a mistake, a little crush, and it didn't mean anything big."

"Why didn't you go out with him?"

"Well, I was still pretty hung up over Suho." Jugyeong had the decency to blush. "And then Suho came back from America, which pretty much sealed the deal. Why, do you like Seojun or something?"

It was a harmless question, and she hadn't put much thought into it, but she had hit the nail right on the head. Yeonwoo groaned. "I don't know. I have no experience in these types of things, what am I supposed to do?"

"Do you remember the camping trip we took in our junior year?"

Yeonwoo was still distracted, but said, "Yeah, what about it?"

"I was there that night you and Seojun got scared by that ghost. And do you want to know something really funny? I was the ghost. I had fallen into a lake so my makeup had rubbed off. I was scared of running into someone with my bare face, so I covered it in mud."

Yeonwoo winced. "Oh, Jugyeong."

Jugyeong timidly chuckled. "I felt so bad for scaring you guys half to death. I'm sorry. But I can tell you something from what I heard and saw before I scared you guys—I'm pretty sure Seojun was about to confess to you."

"You really think so?" Yet, Yeonwoo still didn't look too convinced.

When they both returned to Sua and Sujin, the expression on Yeonwoo's face was still so worried, that even Sua, in her nesting mood, noticed.