Don't hurt yourself

Harry and Draco were both studying in Draco's dormitory. It was beyond hot in Draco's room and he was still wearing his usual black hoodie and jeans. Harry, however, was wearing a t-shirt and some shorts.

"Hey, Dray? Why don't you take off your jacket?" Harry asked suddenly, looking up from his potions textbook. Draco froze. It is not like he could just tell Harry that he self-harmed and that his arms were covered in cuts and scars. Harry seemed to notice Draco's change in mood and his features hardened. 

"I'm not hot," Draco said, trying to dismiss any further discussion on the subject. He put his quill back to parchment, regaining his posture. Harry wasn't buying it; he could tell that Draco was hiding something. Draco could almost see the gears in Harry's mind turning as if doing a rather difficult puzzle in his brain. 

It was then that Harry paled, his mouth ever so slightly agape. Draco kept his focus on his work, trying to ignore the feeling of Harry's gaze on him. It became increasingly hot by the second, Harry's intense stare scorching his skin. 

"He gave you the dark mark, didn't he?" Harry said conclusively. Draco slammed his quill down onto the floor where he was working. He couldn't even believe Harry would fathom the idea. "Draco, I'm not saying that you wanted it, but did they force you to get the mark? Did he claim you, Draco? I need the truth."

"I cannot believe you'd even comprehend it as fact! No, Harry, I did not get the dark mark! I already told you that I am not a death eater. Don't take me for one!" Draco said, his voice raised slightly. He could not even believe Harry would think that. But he had no way of proving it without revealing his self-harm cuts and scars. "I thought that you'd believe me, Harry. But it seems there is little trust in our relationship." 

"Then show me," Harry said, his expression soft. Draco paled further. He could reveal this to Harry! It was the deepest secret he had ever held within his heart. "Show me or it won't work between us. No secrets."

Reluctantly, Draco pulled up his sleeves to reveal his cuts and scars. Harry tried to gasp but he was so shocked that only a small wisp of air came past his lips. Harry looked away, tears forming in his beautiful, green eyes. Draco took it as a queue to roll his sleeves back down, covering his butchered arms. Once Harry had recovered from the initial shock, he came over to Draco and gave him a warm embrace.

"Don't hurt yourself anymore, Dray."

         ______________________

The next day, Draco was walking to breakfast and smiled slightly. He felt happier than he had in a long while. He walked in and ate some toast and had some pumpkin juice. Nothing could ruin this, right?  

"Oh. So you're still a Slytherin? You couldn't even get into Hufflepuff! You might as well be a squib Malfoy! I heard you got disowned!" Blaise said with a sneer. The whole Slytherin table that was in hearing shot laughed. Draco ignored him. "So now you are deaf as well as dumb?"

Blaise stood up and walked closer to him, grabbing Draco by the collar. Draco didn't say anything. He knew that anything he said would just make matters worse. Blaise swung a punch at Draco, causing him to fall to the floor. Nobody seemed to notice except a few Slytherins who laughed in encouragement. 

"You gonna cry out for mummy and daddy, Drakie? Oh wait, they don't love you, do they? I bet your daddy used to put his di-" Draco stood up and lunged at Draco, seething with uncontrollable rage. How dare he bring up his mother and father like that? How dare he joke about his pain? How dare he mock him?

"Mr Malfoy, What are you doing to Mr Zabini?" Minerva asked coming up behind him. Draco stopped and looked at her, tears falling from his eyes. "What has happened here? Tell me at once or I shall take fifty points from each of you!"

"Malfoy started punching me for no reason!" Blaise lied, blood dripping from his nose. Blaise looked far more horrendous than Draco, and Draco felt dread mixed with anger fill him. Minerva looked at the other Slytherins at the table who nodded to confirm this lie as truth. Draco tried to speak but he had no time to tell her the truth. She believed the majority and that was the end of it.

"Mr Malfoy, fifty points from Slytherin and two weeks detention. You're lucky your punishment is not more severe." Draco opened his mouth to speak but she interjected. "No buts, Malfoy. You should not ever fight." 

Not being to handle it anymore, Draco rushed off. He had a one-way destination to meet someone he'd never met before.

_______________________________

"Draco? Draco where are you?" Harry asked, looking around the dungeons. He went up Draco's dom and muttered the password. Silence. He called out Draco's name again, desperately trying to find his boyfriend. The bathroom door was locked. "Draco? are you in there? Draco, you have five seconds to open the door or I will open it myself. Five, four... come on Draco, please... three, two, this is your last chance... one. I have no other choice. Alohomora."

There, in the bathtub, was Draco. He was unconscious and barely breathing, bathing in a mixture of water and blood. Harry felt panic rushing through him and he didn't know how to react to such an unexpected scene. What had happened to trigger this? Harry rushed towards him, quickly checking for his pulse. 

Once he found one, Harry took Draco into his arms and ran as fast as he could through the school. It was late so there were not many students blocking the way or to be witness to such a horrific scene. He arrived at the door to the hospital wing and it swung open without him even having to touch it, banging loudly on the castles stone walls. Madam Pomfrey rushed out of her office, started by the loud bang. 

"I found Draco like this, Madam. Please help him." 

_______________________

The next afternoon, Draco awoke. He didn't say anything. He just looked at Harry with guilt held in his eyes. Harry called for Madam Pomfrey who came over quickly and sat Draco up and gave him something to eat. Draco ate in silence, not saying anything. He felt embarrassed that he had pulled such a stunt and survived. 

"Draco, I'm not angry at you. I want to help you." Harry said as Madam Pomfrey fumbled around in the medician cupboard. It seemed she was looking for something but Harry didn't know what. "I love you."

"I love you too, Harry. I'm sorry." Draco said. Harry gave Draco his hand and Draco took it. He could feel his heart thumping out of his chest. Why did he feel this way? The feeling of depression mixed with uncontrolled love, spiralling down a black hole with a golden light rushing to catch him. Why did he feel this way? Unloved yet so undeniably loved. How could he be so oblivious? Yet still, he felt this way. "It hurts. Here."

Draco pulled Harry's hand to his chest. Harry could feel the fast heartbeats that lept in Draco's chest and his eyes watered. Harry lowered himself onto Draco's bed and looked into his blue-grey eyes. Harry's eyes were stained with tears and he leaned down to kiss Draco. They broke the kiss and Draco's heart was beating even faster. Moments later, Madam Pomfrey walked in.

"Hello, Mr Malfoy. I'd like to give you this; it's a wizard happy pill. It makes you focus on the emotions you get from the happiest thing in your life. A pet, a place, a person. It should help you get through the worst of times and help prevent a repeat occurrence. Or worse..." Draco nodded and Madam Pomfrey informed Draco on how to take them. "How do you feel, Mr Malfoy?"

"Excellent. I feel excellent."