VegasPete | Chapter 10

- Vegas –

A sharp pain crept into my head as soon as I regained my consciousness. I opened my eyes and tried to adjust my focus in order to organize the things in my brain. I fell into a stupor and got confused. The image in my head was blank as if the only thing I was thinking about was pain.

"Hey... how are you?" My brother's voice called out for my attention, trying to say various things to make me turn around and look.

I saw the image of Macau standing beside the bed looking at me and the quaint surroundings behind him. I felt the softness of the bed and pillows with an unfamiliar feeling. It wasn't like every morning when I wake up and find that... the place I'm in is better.

"P'Top! P'Top, he's awakened." Macau's voice continued to ring out. Even though I was used to the everyday noise, it's not like this...

"Macau, can you shut up?! He literally just fell head over heels on the floor. He's not dead. Why are you panicking?" It was the voice of another person. Although I still can't see the face clearly, I can clearly remember that voice. It was the sound that always pierced my heart. A voice that commanded me. A voice that used to insult me. And a voice that I don't want to hear.

"Dad! If you don't care about him, then just go home. But I'm staying here to wait and look over him myself." Then I saw both Macau and Dad standing a little far away from me. They started to argue, and I immediately felt a tingling pain in my temples.

"Macau!"

"If Dad and his new wife won't come to see the doctor, he probably won't show up to see him, maybe," Macau muttered softly. He quickly grabbed a glass and poured water in it from a pitcher, then handing it to me. "Big brother, drink some water." I slowly sipped the water from the glass little by little. My throat felt so dry that it hurt.

"It's good you've finally recovered. I'm going back to the company now. Let the doctor see your brother, Macau."

Macau turned to look at the person who got up from the sofa and walked out of the room towards the gardens. Then a doctor just walked in. I had a lot of questions in my head right now. How did I get to the hospital? And... what happened that brought me here?

"Hello. May I have a look?" I turned to look at the other side of the bed. I saw my subordinate looking down and pressing a switch on the side of the bed to adjust the level for me. I was now half-lying half-sitting so the doctor could do his job. I just noticed that my arm was pierced by a saline hose. The doctor reached out and carefully touched my head. As soon as the gauze was opened, I felt a sensation resembling a numbing pain.

The past events gradually poured in my head. And it was him. He was the only one who was stuck in my mind all the time. Pete. Pete, where are you?

"Nop..." I hurriedly turned to the startled idiot as he looked down at the ground without meeting my eyes. "Pete. Where is Pete?"

I started to fidget. The doctor slightly pulled away from my body as I glanced at Macau who was looking at me anxiously. I rushed over and grabbed Nop's arm. The pain I felt now was nothing compared to the memories I had of Pete crying and cursing at me. The look in his eyes that were so indifferent and empty still lingered in my vision now. Where is he now? What is he doing? If I was in the hospital, would he still be waiting for me in the same room as before?

No, I don't want to remember the story after that. I knew I was lying to myself. Yes, I didn't want to think about what happened after he hit me with the chains. But I only hoped that he would still be there. Still in the same room that eased my worries. Because normally, when I was out doing errands, Pete would call me. And how long have I been out of the room? Will he still be waiting for me? Will he be angry at me?