Chapter 8: Unexpected

(Authors note is at the end this time. Don't skip it, it's important)
‼️EMETOPHOBIA TW‼️
————————————————————————
  It was now the next day, Wednesday November 24th, 3:45 pm to be exact and Tom was looking through his seemingly endless blue hoodies and dark blue jeans for something more formal for his date. He still had plenty of time and wasn't planning on getting ready until around 4:30, but he completely forgot to pick an outfit ahead of time and his formal clothes were lost in all his other clothes.
  Meanwhile, Matt was downstairs, talking with Edd. Mid-conversation, he remembered. He completely forgot to tell Edd about what happened last night! He knew it would be a good idea, he'd be so happy for him.
  "Oh, I forgot to tell you, you won't believe what happened last night!" He beamed. Edd already knew what he was about to say since Tom told him earlier, but he pretended he didn't.
  "What happened?" He asked. Matt couldn't wait to tell him.
  "So, right after I was settled in my room, Tom came in and said he had something to tell me, and that something is that he likes me!!" He gushed. "We're even gonna be going on a date today at five o..." he stopped, realizing that he forgot to keep track of time. "Uh.. Edd.. what time is it?" He asked.
  Edd looked at his phone. "It's three forty fi-" Matt cut him off.
   "Ah! I need to get ready!" He yelped as he charged upstairs.
  "Wait! You still have over an hour!" Edd tried to tell him before realizing he was already up in his room.
  "Well, there's no harm in getting ready early." He thought.
  After a long period of digging through his closet, Tom finally found a nice semi-formal date outfit, a white dress shirt with a black vest and a black and white checkered tie that's been sitting around in his room for years. He decided to check the time, it was most likely past 4 pm since he's been looking for an outfit for a very long time. He was right, it was about 4:20 pm.
  "Might as well start getting ready, I don't wanna end up late." He decided.
  Matt on the other hand was already 3 steps ahead of him. He was doing absolutely everything he could to make sure he was perfect. Though this was what he would always do before going to bed and when he woke up in the morning, he did it with extra thought and consideration. This included taking a shower, trying out different hair styles, doing skincare for the second and not last time that day, and running downstairs to give his outfit a quick wash before putting it on. Curios about all the racket, Edd went into the Landry room to see what Matt was doing.
  "Uh.. Matt, don't you think this is a bit much?" He asked. "The outfit was perfectly clean, there's no need to wash it." Matt acted as if he just insulted him.
  " 'A bit much'? Edd, it's my first date. I need to make sure I'm as perfect as possible, though I'm already perfect as is!" He explained with a slight bit of annoyance in his voice.
  "Alright mister perfect, I'll let you do your thing." Edd teased as he left the room.
  It was now 4:30 pm. Matt's outfit was out of the wash and Tom was in his room, sitting on his bed thinking about the date.
  "Looks like the time has finally come, Tom. You're only less than 30 minutes away from going on your first official date." He thought. Technically it was his second date, but he didn't count his first one as a real date since he didn't get anywhere with it, but he was confident he would this time. He was an uncomfortable yet happy combination of nervous, excited, anxious, and nauseous.
  Matt was in a similar situation, sitting on Edd's bed next to him.
  "Agh.. I'm nervous, Edd! What if something goes wrong?" Matt cried as Edd put his hand on his back like a supportive dad helping his son before going on his first date, not far off from the current situation.
  "Don't worry, everything's gonna be ok, trust me." He encouraged. "I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"
  "That's what they always say in tv shows before something bad happens.." Matt groaned.
  "Well, this isn't a tv show, is it? Trust me buddy, everything is gonna be perfect!" Edd said to uplift his friend. Matt grinned.
  "You're right, this is gonna be the perfect date!" He settled. "A nice new restaurant, holding hands, being romantic, (gasp) maybe even a kiss!"
  "That's the spirit!" Edd motivated as they heard a knock on his door.
  "Hey, Matt. You ready?" Tom asked. Matt's eyes widened as he jumped up and opened the door, nearly hitting Tom in the face.
  "Yes!! Let's go!!" He cheered. Tom smiled as they went downstairs.
  "Have fun!" Edd called from his room.
  "Thank you!" Tom replied as him and Matt walked out the door.
  "Here, I'll drive." Tom offered, pulling his car keys from out of his pocket.
  "Aren't you sweet?" Matt blushed. As they sat in the car, Tom noticed that Matt was wearing the same exact suit he stole from him to have a fake wedding with a tree.
  "Heh, classic Matt." He thought.
  The car ride was overall pretty silent, for all their thoughts stayed in their minds. Both of them were super excited and nervous, though they were more excited at this point.
  After about 5-10 minutes of driving, they finally arrived at the restaurant.
  "Wow, this place sure is nice!" Matt commented
  "Yeah, I'm surprised they had something this fancy so close to home." Tom added as they walked through the door.
  "Hello! A table for two, please." He said to the woman behind the counter.
  "Right away, follow me." She responded as she escorted them to their table. They took a seat.
  "Okay, someone will be here in just a moment to take your order, okay?" She said as if they've never been to a restaurant before. They both nodded.
  "Thank you for inviting me, Tom. This could very well be the best day of my life!" Matt said with joy right as the woman left their table.
  "Of course, thank you for accepting my invite!" Tom replied with a permanent smile. After not long, someone came to take their orders.
  "Matt! Tom! Fancy seeing you here, how's everything going?" An all-too familiar heavily accented voice said to them. They looked over and saw who the voice belonged to.
  It was none other than Tord Larsson who they believed to be dead, half his face scarred from the incident and a red robotic arm in place of his old one. The two men were in too much shock to say a word for a moment, but Tom was soon able to pull himself together.
  "T-Tord?! What are you doing here?!"He asked in surprise.
  "What? Is a guy not allowed to have a job? Running an army doesn't pay the bills, you know." Tord explained. "Anyways, what would you two like to drink?"
  Tom stopped to think. "Running an army", was the red army.. his?
  "Get yourself together, Tom. You're not about to let some sociopathic commie ruin your first date." He thought, soon replying to Tord's question.
  "...water." He mumbled. It wasn't what he truly wanted, but he was too caught up in other things to focus on what he wants to drink.
  "Mhm, and what would you like, Matt?" He asked.
  "Oh, I'll have water as well." He responded, his normally upbeat tone more flat and anxious.
  "Okay, your waters will be coming right up!" Tord cheered, seemingly unable to read the room and notice how uncomfortable his "friends" were. Once he left the table, Tom instantly started talking to Matt about him.
  "What the hell is that commie doing here?" He whispered to Matt.
  "I don't know but I hope he doesn't ruin our date!" Matt cried as Tord went back to their table, no waters, no anything.
  "Things are a bit busy, so why don't we have a small conversation as your drinks are being prepared?" He suggested. Neither of them replied, but he started the conversation anyway.
  "So, what are you two doing here without Edd? Is this some kind of date?" He asked. Tom scowled.
  "Yeah, what's it to you?" He scoffed.
  "Oh, nothing at all! I just have a question, are you seriously so desperate that you'll date him?" Tord chuckled, gesturing to Matt. "A narcissistic man-child that has the intelligence of a kitchen shelf?" Matt looked at the ground, very obviously uncomfortable and hurt by what Tord was saying. Tom's eyes flashed white, something that only ever happened when he's extremely mad and/or shocked.
  "Just leave us alone!" he snapped. Tord laughed his signature, throaty laugh.
  "Alright, alright! I'm just saying.." he tapped on the fish tank near their table with his metal finger, pointing at a fish that was banging its head against the glass as if it could escape. "You would be better off dating that fish rather then that idiot any day."
  Matt was still very obviously upset, tears starting to form in his eyes. He wasn't usually very hurt by other people's words since he had an ego bigger than himself, but this time, it hit him very personally, especially since it has to do with him and Tom's relationship.
"Hey, don't listen to him." Tom said after Tord finally left the table, putting his hand on the side of his face. "You're perfect and I love you more than anything."  Matt smiled from ear to ear, wiping the tears from his freckled face as tears of joy took their place. He never thought he'd hear those words come out of Tom's mouth.
  "Th-thank you.." he replied. As soon as they knew it, Tord was back at their table with their waters.
  "Here you go!" He said, handing them their drinks. "So, have you two decided on what you'd like to eat?" They paused, they were too worried about Tord to even look at the menu.
  "Not yet, we could use some more time." The dark eyed man said as Matt anxiously sipped his water.
  "Alrighty! I'll come back to you." Tord said.
  "Hm, something about this tastes a bit off." Matt thought, drinking his water. "It must just be unpurified."
  As they looked at their menus, Matt started to feel a bit nauseous and dizzy. It wasn't in an anxious or nervous way, but a sickly way as if he had a flu. Tom noticed how pale and uneasy he was and thought he'd say something.
  "Hey, Matt. You doing okay?" He asked.
  "Oh yeah, I'm alright, just a bit nauseous." The ginger said. He took another long sip of water, hoping it would help him feel a bit better. However, the more he drank, the sicker and dizzier he felt.
  Tord came back to their table. "Okay, are we ready to o-" he was cut off by Matt, abruptly throwing up on the ground next to him. Tom gasped and quickly handed him the trash can next to him. While Matt was puking and Tom was worried, an unsettling grin remained across Tord's half-distorted face.
  "Aww, you poor soul!" He sarcastically cooed. "You two are free to go once you're finished, the waters are on the house." Tom glared at him, his hand remaining on Matt's back. He knew that he had something to do with his date's sickness.
  "Okay.. I think it's over.." Matt groaned. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom to freshen up real quick.." Tom lifted his hand from his back.
  "Okay, take your time, I'll wait outside." He told him.
  Once Matt got in the bathroom, he instantly looked into the mirror. He was pale with the potent liquid all over him.
  "Great.. so much for trying to look perfect.." he thought, wiping his face and outfit and swishing tap water in his mouth until he was good as new. Well, almost. His outfit was still stained with orange and brown but it was the best he could do. He stumbled out of the bathroom and to the door to meet Tom outside, low on energy after using it to throw up what felt like everything in his body.
  He finally opened it and Tom looked over from the bench, smiling. It was pitch black outside since it was just about winter and the sun set earlier, but there was still lights outside by the stairs that lead to the door that lit up the area along with street lights in the parking lot.
  "Hey, Matt. Feeling better?" He asked.
  "Eh.. not quite.." Matt admitted. "Let's just get in the car." The dry, sickly tone in the usually cheerful Matt's voice made Tom a bit upset.
  "Alright, by the way, I have some spare hoodies in my car if you'd like to change." He said.
  "Yeah, I'll go do that." Matt told him. Tom handed him a hoody and he quickly swapped it for is wet, stained shirt. It was a bit small since Tom is thin and reasonably shorter than Matt, but he was happy to be wearing the hoody of someone he loved no matter how undersized it was.
  As they started driving, Matt felt a little upset. He didn't want their date to be over just yet, for it's only been less than an hour.
  "Hey, Tom. Is there a longer way we could take to drive home?" He asked. "I don't want our date to be over yet."
  "Yeah, I feel the same. There is a longer loop I could take." Tom told him. "I'm sorry Tord had to crash our date, he's such a little.." he stopped himself before he said something he'd regret.
  "It's alright, at least we have eachother.. heh.." Matt replied, mustering his last bit of energy to force an awkward laugh and smile. After a few moments, they soon drove past an explosion of colors coming from a nearby fair. Matt instantly cheered up and broke out of his weakness.
  "Look, fireworks!" He pointed out. "The night is still young, maybe we can sit in a nearby parking lot and watch them together!" He smiled from the thought of him and Tom holding hands and watching the bursts of color in the deep night sky. Tom was a bit confused on why there was a fair and fireworks at a time like this, there wasn't any upcoming holidays besides from Christmas which was in over a month, but it sounded like a great idea.
  "Sure, that sounds amazing!" Tom settled. He drove down to a store that wasn't too far away from their current position to park his car and they got out, sitting on top of the car with their fingers entwined.
  "I guess everything worked out in the end, didn't it?" Tom said.
  "Yeah, I'm almost happy Tord ended up ruining it, this is really fun!" Matt agreed.
  "Heh, yeah.." Tom replied. He thought for a moment.
"Would it be weird to do it?"
  "Nah, screw it. As they say, you only live once."
  He pulled Matt in by his undersized hoody and kissed him. Matt was in shock for the first half of the kiss, but soon returned the same energy. Pulling him in closer with their arms around each other. The kiss wasn't the longest, nor was there much of any tongue or anything more than a plain kiss, but it was enough to make both of them feel an incredible way.
  They soon backed away, Matt's crimson face was a mixture of happy, surprised, and amazed. He could hardly speak.
  "So- uhm- does th-this mean we're uh- you know.."
  "Official?" Tom questioned.
  "Y-yeah, that!"
   "..yeah!"
  Matt wrapped his arms around him, giving him a light kiss on the cheek as they watched the last bit of the fireworks together.
  Officially a couple.

——————————————————
A/n: Hey everyone! Unfortunately, this will probably be the last chapter of this fanfiction. I might make a sequel in the future that's revolving more around Edd and the ship Tordedd but for now I'm just gonna leave it here. Though this fanfiction is over for now, I'm gonna be writing a second tommatt story real soon that takes place in the high school au! It's a huge comfort ship for me so I might even make a third story on it, who knows. I really hope you enjoyed my first wattpad story, it was so fun to write and I can't wait to write more stories in the future. One last thing, I really hate to self promote, but if you enjoyed this story and wanna follow me on my journey, I'd recommend following me so you can be notified whenever I make an announcement! Thank you so much for all your support. :)