3) New Boy

(homophobes, a warning. also slight abuse tw)

The boy- Hitoshi -looked about her own age. His wild purple locks literally flowing everywhere. He looked like he hadn't slept in weeks, yet he also looked like he just rolled out of bed. She wasn't sure what to think about him yet.

Shouta and Hizashi smiled at the boy gesturing him over. He sat on the other side of the couch, across from you. Shouta grabbed a medical kit and handed you an ice pack, and explained to the other two males how well you had fought. You winced as he recalled your injury, the very reason you were there.

The swelling had gone down a bit, you weren't allowed to show pain around your father, and it was instinct by now. You were able to hide it pretty well until Shouta wrapped your ankle for you, a gasp leaving your mouth as the pain intensified tenfold. Shinsou lets out a chuckle at your wall of emotion breaking, met immediately with your glare.

This kid wasn't giving off good vibes to you. You couldn't be sure of anything about him.

After them all talking for a bit, you politely listening, the conversation shifted towards you. Shouta had just remembered you never answered his question.

"-anyways... Miss L/n, you never answered my question earlier... who taught you to fight?"

You shifted uncomfortably, all eyes on you waiting for you to answer.

"U-um you see-" As you stuttered, you cleared your throat and spoke up, as not to show any weakness. That had caused quite a few injuries in your youth.

"My father... he used to do it for sport. He taught me when I was young... my mother- she was nonexistent my whole life..." Trailing off, you thought about your lie. It wasn't a complete lie, but it also wasn't the full story either. Shouta nodded his head, accepting your answer and dropping the topic. To kill some time, everyone played a group board game.

In the end Shouta won, Hizashi got last, and you and Shinsou had tied. You were greeted by a sweet black cat named Moonshine, Shouta's cat, and were visited by an orange tabby named Harmony, Hizashi's. They invited you to stay the night, and everyone ate. Shinsou went off to his room and Shouta and Hizashi went to theirs.

They let you stay on the couch, as not to move your ankle. Lights went out, but you couldn't fall asleep. To clarify, you couldn't let yourself fall asleep. All that ever did was bring back the nightmares of the scars, cuts, bruises, and stitches. Just thinking about it made you tired, but the nightmares were not an option. It was better to just not sleep at all. 

At least... that was the plan. Around 2:10 in the morning, you fell asleep, unable to stay awake any longer. The nightmares came back, worse than before. You woke with a start, startled so badly that your foot slipped off its elevation, the pillow, and slammed into the coffee table. Nothing broke, not the table or the ankle. It made a light thud, but the pain was horrible. You mumbles a few whispered curses to yourself under your breath. If you hadn't fallen asleep, this wouldn't have happened.

As your ankle stopped throbbing as much, you noticed movement in the corner of your eye. Someone was standing on the staircase. It looked like a monster. After a minute of observation. you realized it wasn't a monster, it was just Shinsou.

"What are you doing up at this hour?" You whisper-asked, hoping that he just came down to get water or something. He walked over to the couch and turned on the small, not-very-bright lamp. Sitting down across from you, he asked you the dreaded question.

"What happened to make that noise?" You flinched. You had hoped he hadn't heard that. You had hoped he had just been getting water or something from the kitchen. But of course, luck didn't want to play nice. In an attempt to chance the subject, you asked a question in return, for a second time.

"Why are you up at this time of night? You should be sleeping." You were met with a small glare.

"You didn't answer my question. To answer yours, I was awake anyway, because of Insomnia. I don't sleep, not if I can help it anyway... But that doesn't matter. What did you do?"

With no other option, the tension in the air was thick enough that you could cut it with a knife.

"I banged my ankle against the table and floor. No big deal." You hung your head as the truth came out, and for a quick minute, the tension lowered, as silence hung over your heads.

"...Are you okay?" His question caught you be surprise. People being nice enough to worry about you wasn't something you were used to.

"Oh- I'm fine. Not a big deal." His eyes glinted in the low light, the tension disappearing into the air, like it wasn't ever there to begin with. His eyes sparked as a look of understanding spread onto his face. It worried you.

"Y/n... How exactly did you bang your ankle? You made it this far into the night without moving in your sleep, which leaves only a few possibilities for what happened. For example, if you tried staying up the whole night but started to drift off..." He trailed off, leaving the question open. This boy was too smart for his own good. For your own good.

"So what if I did?" You verified his answer, as silence drifted after your response. The subject seemed to have dropped, and for a while, everything seemed like it was going to be fine. For a few hours, you both sat in comfortable silence.

At around 5:00, Shinsou stood up from the couch, the quick movement taking your focus immediately. You sat up to watch as he walked into the kitchen and started to make coffee. The only thing that caught your eye?

The fact that these people had three coffee machines in their kitchen.

After some time, Shinsou brought over two cups of coffee, setting them on the coffee table. He set some cream and sugar within your reach, and took a sip off of his black coffee. Ignoring the cream and sugar within reach, you also took a sip. The bitter flavor sat on your tongue, as Shinsou observed your choice of coffee.

Soon enough, Hizashi and Shouta walked down the stairs, both with bedhead, and grabbed the coffee Shinsou had made for them. Hizashi added some cream, and way too much sugar, while Shouta just went for a little cream before drinking. You laughed to yourself at the variety of coffee choices their family preferred. 

"I talked to Nezu, and he assigned you to class 1-A." Mr. Aizawa, no, Shouta, spoke.

"He wants you to go in today, we all have to go there anyway, so why not bring you with us? I happen to teach class 1-A, and have some spare uniforms Nezu required me to keep in my room. Those could go to good use, as long as you don't mind, Y/n?"

"That would be great, thank you." You smiled as Hizashi ran up to grab you a uniform, and Shouta led you to the bathroom across the hall, handing you some clean towels and a brush, as Hizashi put a uniform on the sink. Thanking them, you took a quick shower, and changed into the uniform.

It was a bit tight, and showed a bit more than you were used to, but it fit well other than that. Plus, it didn't look half bad. Brushing your hair, you quickly threw on shoes and made yourself presentable before exiting the room. Walking out, you saw Hizashi and Shouta in their hero costumes by the door, and Shinsou, also in the UA uniform.

Turns out, the ravenette man you had mistaken as homeless, the blonde cook, and the violet haired boy, with dark circles under his eyes, all cleaned up nicely. You giggled at Shouta and Hizashi arguing about how many sleeping bags Shouta should bring to school.

"Hey." A voice to your left made you turn quickly, just to be met with Shinsou a few feet away.

"You ready to go to UA?" You nodded, letting a small smile creep onto your face. Maybe this mission wouldn't be so horrible after all.

word count 1399