If You Would Just Listen ( ANGST?, FLUFF )

i did not write this imagine i found it on tumblr by spacemochi-x

Ever since you could remember, you've had a thing for Gilbert Blythe, the boy next door. He was smart, kind and amusing, so it was no surprise when nearly every girl at your school fell heads over heels in love with the boy.

You were no exception.

You just couldn't help yourself. He was always so nice to you and charming and never thought you were stupid because you couldn't score like him and your academic performance was, to put it kindly, less than brilliant.

In your Fourth Year, he'd even offered to help you once when you had received particularly harsh feedback from Mr.Philips who hadn't hesitated on voicing his thoughts on your History essay in front of your entire class. Gilbert had been very patient and understanding. Nevertheless, your performance didn't budge by much; you just couldn't bring yourself to focus on all the names and dates that kept swirling inside your head when he was sitting so close to you.

You've always remembered the gesture though.

Unfortunately for you, Ruby Gillis had called "Dibs' on Gilbert a motion so strong it made nearly every girl one;s worst enemy if they so much as looked at Gilbert for a second too long.

Obviously, you were terrified of anyone finding out about the feelings you harbored and quickly became adept in hiding your true emotions for the boy, often acting bored and uninterested every time the topic came up.

You had everybody fooled.

Or so you thought.

~

"I know about the less than platonic feelings you've been keeping a secret from me."

Anne confronted you, her voice ringing rather loudly in the empty classroom.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

You swallowed harshly and wiped the sweat of your hands on your skirt.

"I, Anne Shirley Cuthbert, am confronting you about the romantic thoughts that you've, for the lack of a better word, thought up regarding Gilbert Blythe."

Anne fixed her eyes in you, determination reflected in them.

"Don't be silly, Anne. If I did have less than platonic feelings, how couldn't confide in you, the master of romantical tragedies? Besides, Ruby has dibs."

You fibbed shamelessly, fingers nimbly moving from one task to another as you tried to calm your nerves.

"Ruby having dibs has nothing to do with how you feel. Also, I'm hoping that your future relationship with Gilbert doesn't end in a tragedy."

You kept quiet, not knowing what to say.

"Y/N, you can trust me. Do you like him?"

You swallowed once more before nodding your head slightly, a ghost of a smile making it's way onto your lips.

"I knew it! I knew it! Oh my goodness I was right! I knew it!"

Anne shrieked loudly in triumph.

"Why ever didn't you tell me?"

"I knew you'd make it a big deal and I really didn't want to deal with all the drama."

You replied wearily.

Make it a big deal! My best friend just admitted that she likes THE Gilbert Blythe! Of course it's a big deal!"

Anne twirled around happily, her pigtails flying with her.