Chapter 14: Dirty Little Secrets

“Hey! Where are you taking me?!” I exclaimed, struggling to keep up with him. He wouldn’t answer and I saw people stop to stare at us curiously. How embarrassing. After leading me through a short alleyway, I started to panic.

“Ok Henry! You better tell me where we’re going or I’m going to-”

“Do you trust me?” Henry cut me off, his eyes boring softly into mine.

I blinked. For some odd reason, all my panic, my doubts and generally my negative thoughts melted away slowly. Did I trust Henry?

Of course I did. I knew he wouldn’t do anything bad to me intentionally. Even though he was a jerk and liked to tease me … I trusted him. “Yes ... why?”

He smiled slightly and led me further. No answer?! How rude!

Finally we ended up by the seaside, where people were playing beach volleyball and the sun was starting to set in the lovely horizon. “We’re going to the beach?” I asked, confused.

“Not exactly …”

We walked past the crowded beach and around some sort of cliff thing. There was a small, unsmooth trek on the side of the road. And guess what? Yes, Henry led me there. He helped me as I nearly stumbled which made me smile. The path was short, thankfully.

“Like it?” Henry asked.

Huh? What did he mean? I looked around at my surroundings and a small gasp escaped my lips. We had reached a secluded area of the beach and there was no one around. The place was all to ourselves.

“Wow,” I murmured. This was so cool! Ever since I was small, I’ve always wanted my own little place but I never had one. My room was the closest thing to 'my own little place.' I also knew when people showed you their own little place, you meant something to them. Did it apply to Henry too? “Henry?” 

“Hmm?” I watched as Henry moved forward to sit himself down on the sand.

“Do you ever bring anyone here?” I tried to make it sound as casual as possible, but it was evident I was really curious. 

“No. Why?” He asked, frowning, obviously not getting it.

I shrugged nonchalantly and plopped myself down next to him. He was showing me his secret place and he had never shown anyone else before! I don't know why but I felt quite bubbly. I slowly ran my fingers through the soft, warm sand while Henry gazed at the small waves coming in from the sparse ocean.

“I never used to hate my father. In fact, I used to try and get his attention,” Henry said out of the blue.

I looked up, shocked he was starting the conversation … and of course that Henry never used to hate his father. I had expected to ask him why he hated his father again. It made me happy that he was willing to talk. “Get his attention?” I clarified, trying to imagine a mini Henry shouting at his father 'Look Dad!'

“Yeah ... don’t tell anyone though. I only discovered my talent for acting and playing the guitar because of my father. When I was eight, I thought if I was Prince Charming in the school play, he would be proud of me. I was wrong. He didn’t even come to watch me. I felt like nothing I ever did was good enough for him.”

“The first time I played the ukulele for him, he said I was … horrible. Everyone said I was talented though, but their opinions never mattered. Only my father’s. That’s the reason I don’t really play guitar unless I’m by myself. I still wonder, did he really think it was horrible?”

“You’re not horrible,” I immediately said. Even if I hadn't heard him play, he probably was pretty good. I also realised I used to be like Henry too, trying to get my mother’s attention. But in middle school, I realised it didn’t matter if she cared about me or not. I had stopped giving a damn about her ever since. I knew how Henry felt. We were alone together.