Chapter 34: One Last Cry

It’s not a nice feeling when you realise that no one can pick you up from the airport. It’s a lonely, sad feeling and I didn’t need any more of that. Throughout the whole plane ride, I had tried to sleep so I could take my mind of Henry’s tears but I couldn’t, so I had distracted myself by ‘oohing’ and ‘aahing’ at the wonders of first class.

Steve had sneakily managed to give me a first class seat even though I had requested for what a normal person would do and choose economic.

The meals had been delicious and the air stewardess had offered fruits, Belgium chocolate and wine. I sampled everything but the wine. I had also played around with my plush velvet seat. I had turned it into a bed, and while I had been pushing the seat back, it nearly smacked the nose of the business man behind me, who had been sitting up straight and working on his laptop.

While I had laid back, my mind had wondered off to Henry. I shouldn’t have been surprised. What was he doing? Where was he? Did he hate me? – Those were the through running through my mind at about 200 miles per hour. Ok, that was an exaggeration but you know what I mean.

I headed outside to where the line of cabs were waiting and hopped in the first one. I gave him my address and he drove off.

It took long to arrive home, but once I did, I wanted to throw up. My house still looked the same – it was made of timber, had white paned windows and the Corolla was sitting on the narrow driveway. I paid the cab driver, took my luggage bags out of the trunk and took a deep breath before walking up the narrow driveway to my home. I couldn’t wait to move out, but I still didn’t have enough money to rent a flat. I had saved up a fair amount from working part-time as a waitress, but I still had a bit to go before I could get a loan off the bank. I knew Steve would happily give me the money, but he was already paying for my college fees so I didn’t want to bother him anymore than I already have.

I walked up to the front door and hoped my mother wasn’t home. I quickly took out the spare keys from under the ‘Welcome’ mat and cautiously stepped inside. Quietness greeted me. Phew! She wasn’t home! I let a smile take over my face but it fell when I came face to face with a burly man.

“Who are you?” he asked as his crossed his muscled arms. “What are you doing in my home? How did you get in here?”

I gulped. Who in the world was he and what on earth was he doing here? “I’m Lainie and this is my home!”

“You said your name was Lainie?”

I nodded and before I could demand him to tell me what he was doing in my home, my mother appeared from behind him. She looked exactly the same but there was something different about her and I wasn’t sure if it was a good or bad thing. “Lainie? You’ve come back?”

My mother squealed and ran forward to knock the breath out of me with a hug. Oh my god. Call 911 everyone! Hazel Campbell was finally hugging her daughter! Seriously, what was going on?!

“I’m sorry I spoke to you like that,” the strange man apologised. He was smiling crookedly now and his stance had relaxed. “I thought you were some intruder, but it turns out your Hazel’s daughter.”

“Oh no, it’s fine,” I assured. I then turned to the blonde woman who was still clinging onto me and gently pried her hands off me. “Um … mom? Why did he say this was his house?”

I nodded my head to Mr Stranger, who was leaning against the wall chuckling. My mother in return, bit her lip and smiled at me sheepishly. “Well you see Lainie …”

“HOLY CRAP!” I suddenly yelled, making the man and my mom flinch. “What is that ring doing on your finger?!”

A stunning rose gold wedding band with little white diamonds sat on my mother’s left hand, and I was sure that she didn’t just buy that for fun.