Chapter 15: Talk About A Dreadful Dinner

Oh god. My heart was beating so fast it felt like it would jump out of my chest. I was scared. Yes, I was actually scared. Henry pulled up on the driveway and I unbuckled my seatbelt slowly and managed to get out of the car. Henry put an arm comfortingly around my shoulder. Who knew he could be so nice?

For some reason the front door was unlocked. Henry pushed open the door and we found April sitting on the foot of the stairs, her arms wrapped around her knees. Once she saw us come in, she smiled weakly.

“Where are they?” Henry asked.

“They’re upstairs talking,” April answered in a dead tone. “I haven’t seen him … and I don’t want to see him …”

I was surprised at this new April. She was always so ... happy, and now the happiness seemed to be sucked out of her.

“It always happens,” she muttered, looking down. “He’s going to put me down about my choice of career … make me give up.”

As Henry was about to say something, I cut him off. “April, you know you’re good at what you do. You can’t just give up because of one person, who is frankly an ass. You’re stronger than that.”

She smiled at me and I was proud of myself for cheering her up. I felt Henry nudge me and I looked up at him, frowning. “What?”

He nodded over to the staircase, behind April. I gulped. Standing halfway on the stairs was an older, stricter version of Henry. His hair had streaks of grey and he had piercing, glassy eyes. Henry’s dad.

Oh god, did he look intimidating!

Behind him was Arianne, chewing on her lip at the awkward situation.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too Miss Watson,” Rafferty said dryly with a hint of mockery.

Crap. He had heard me call him an ass! And he called me ‘Miss Watson’! Not good. Oh god, I was going to be punched in the face too! “I-I’m sorry sir. I didn’t-I didn’t mean …”

“Father this is Lainie, my fiancée,” Henry said, in a tone which told his father to respect me.

“I’ve heard.”

The five of us stood there, quiet. I looked away to avoid the glare Rafferty was giving me. I felt like I should’ve glare back at him but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, especially after calling him an ass while he was in the room.

Being Steve, he chose to come downstairs right at that moment, whistling to Greensleeves. “Is dinner ready?” He asked, totally oblivious to the tension.

“It is,” Arianne recovered, giving everyone a smile. “A feast awaits us!”

“A feast?” Rafferty asked her.

Arianne nodded. “It’s a welcome home and birthday dinner for you, dear.”

“What?! I told you not to do anything!” Rafferty said angrily.

Arianne cowered a little, but being strong-willed, she didn’t back down. “I wanted to do it. For you.”

“God Arianne, you never listen to me do you?” Rafferty muttered, walking off first into the dining room.

What a jerk he was! He was so … controlling! Not everything was about him! Arianne flushed at his comment and Steve told her he was probably grouchy from lack of food on the plane. I nearly laughed at that.

The dining room had been decorated with two banners hanging on the wall - one saying ‘Happy Birthday,’ and one saying ‘Welcome Home.’ The large table was cluttered with silverware and food. The only food which caught my eye was the roast chicken in the middle of the table. It looked mouth-watering. There was lobster, salads, pastries and even a fancy cheesecake which I assumed was the ‘birthday cake.’