The Traitor

When I woke up, I was face to face with the dirt, I forced myself up and began to walk forward, clenching my gut, my chest was screaming, ears ringing, blurred vision.

"Niko?" A voice said echoing.

As I looked up I could feel the tears start to run down my eyes.

Time stopped. I was breathless. Floating through cold, dark, nothingness. The ring in my ears was getting louder. screaming in pain, everything went back to normal, the blood was gone. The ringing was gone. The pain was gone.

"Niko, are you okay?"

I thought about lying but then I remembered what Alex said and instead I shrugged. She took a step back and began to smile as if solving a case sherlock holmes couldn't solve. "it's the underworld, this happened to Jamie and Ezra before. It isn't your natural environment, not a lot of oxygen for your brain to fully function, it plays tricks on you. It hasn't happened to me because this is kind of like my second home."

"And your smiling because?"

"Because I care about you dummy, I care about all of you. Anyways I still have that weird feeling, it's like it's directing me to something." She continued walking and we did the same. We walked. And walked. And walked. Finally, we stopped at a different river. I reached my hand towards the glossy white liquid When a loud yell stopped me. I kept looking in the water is saw someone, but it wasn't a reflection. It was a lost soul. I blinked and the soul disappeared, the white liquid transformed into a clear water pool, the only reflections were me and Jamie standing behind me. There was something at the bottom of the pool but I could not put my finger on it. 

"Guys, It's here, two of the four  pearls are down there." 

Before I knew it Jamie was preparing himself to dive, he propelled himself further and jumped in the head towards the bottom. Just as I saw him take the pearl, The water turned into a white liquid prison. Alex and Ezra were too busy looking at the map to notice. I always hated the water, but I can't lose another person to it.

 I jumped in and felt around for Jamie. I got a grip on what felt like his elbow. something was dragging him down, I was running out of breath. He put two small objects in my hand but I kept trying to pull him up. Finally, I used all my willpower to pull him up and we swam to the surface. Once we got up, I took a deep breath of air. That was a mistake. I coughed and coughed and I got on land. Jamie had his eyes closed and was turning pale, I tried to heal him but my powers weren't working.

"Show of hands, who know CPR?" Ezra asked, only I raised my hand.

I kneeled by Jamie, interlocked my fingers. Gave chest compressions. 1.2.3. plugged his nose and gave rescue breaths, then I did it again, and again. finally, he jolted up. He looked embarrassed And then worried. 

"The-The pearls, where is it?" I opened my hand and a small white orb was lying flat on my hand.   He sighed in relief.  

Memories flashing before my eyes, a canoe in a storm, lightning flashing, My Mom, Tommy, and I jumping out of the boat swimming towards land. A lightning strike. Me living on the street. Tears filled up my eyes I walked over to Ezra and put the pearls in the backpack he was carrying and I continued to walk forward. But I stopped when I saw a familiar figure. Her hair was gray and black, her eyes were forest Green, her smile was as bright as the sun.

"Mom?" 

"Mijo" she replied. "what are you doing here? it's not safe."

" We are kind of saving the world."

"Nosotras?" she asked. Before I could answer Jamie, Alex and Ezra came running towards me. 

"Mom, this is Jamie, Ezra, and Alex. Guys, this is my mom." 

"Mijo, you have lovely friends. and your father would be so proud, your brother too." I ran up to hug her but as soon as I touched her she disappeared. 

"Mom?" I said barley over a whisper. tears watered from my eyes again. When I looked up I saw a different figure. his hair was jet black, his eyes were Scarlett red, his cloak was long. 

"Dad?" Alex said clearly shocked 

"Ah hello, daughter. I have come to you because I have two pearls and I know you have the other two." he switched his gaze towards Ezra. "Hand them over, kid."