Chapter 3

Arden POV-

I was thrown into the cell that stunk like a mixture of rust and bleach. The cop shuffled the handcuffs off me and closed the loud metal door behind me, leaving me in a room with a bench, toilet and sink four grey white walls and loud LED lights above me. Theres no wonder people could go insane in places like these, forgetting what nature looks like, and even the gloomy sky on a stormy day, something you would even dream about. There was already someone in the cell but I payed no mind to them, as I was focused on my surroundings.

When the door closed behind me it was loud, that's one heavy chunk of metal and I heard the bolts slide home so pointlessly. I knew I could never open that door even if I spent the best part of my stay trying. Each new minute seems to feels like an hour, as if everlasting. The walls seem to be made of old stone covered in crumbly grey paint, the floor similar except it was a blistering white, I can now tell where the bleach smell is coming from, going around everything i touched was either hard or cold, sometimes it's even both.

I don't know what was more annoying, not being able to get comfy anywhere and constantly being cold, or the buzzing of the light above my head.

Brianna POV-

When we entered the station we greeted Gina at the front desk and asked if we could go to the back because we got called, and of course she allowed us to.

Not seeing my dad anywhere when I entered the room I decided to go to his little office area, it was scattered with case files as always, he was concentrated on this one file and as soon as he saw us he swiftly closed it and acted like he was doing nothing.

Me and Rahul greeted him and I asked him to explain everything that was happening and what I needed to do. He just took a deep breath and started to talk.

"You need to listen to me before you start to judge or choose to press charges, okay?" My dad told me. I just nodded and waited for him to continue.

"Her name is Arden and she's 23, she has been homeless since she left foster care 5 years ago. Her parents were killed and she had no other living relatives to stay with, which is why she was put into foster care. If you were on the streets for 5 years, you'd have to do certain things to get by, such as stealing, so please think about what you're going to do because this could possibly ruin her future," he told us.

"If She decided not to press charges, what would happen to her, would she just be put back onto the streets?" Rahul asked him seeming genuinely concerned for her. I was concerned to, I don't want to be the reason she'd be put on the streets again, but I also don't want to get her arrested after listening to her story.

"She would be released out of our custody with a warning, there's nothing we can do about her living situation, you'd have to bring the court and things into that and we don't deal with them," he answered.

I realised she was homeless why she stole but I didn't think it'd be that bad, I couldn't imagine being on the streets for even a week let alone 5 years, that would take a lot of strength to be able to do something like that.

"I know this is random and probably not a good decision but how would you feel if she stayed with us for a little until she can get onto her feet?" I asked Rahul; not knowing what his reaction to something like this would be.

Rahul looked at me sceptically, "what about one of the shelters I volunteer at, then I can keep an eye on her and make sure she's safe," he said.

I thought about his idea but what if she's not safe, loads of things happen on the street and you could easily get caught up in it if you're not careful. Also the idea of her just running off again, If she has been running from foster cares all this time what says she will stay in a shelter.