Chapter 4

Hunter
...

Miki sits up with a stretch. Rolling his neck he feels an uncomfortable itch along his shoulder blades. "Did I sleep funny?" He yawns before getting out of bed. After getting dressed, the boy looks into the mirror and rub his eyes. There's a knock at the door before it's opened by Humbert. "Morning pops." Miki waves.

"Good morning son. Your hair's getting a bit long. Want me to trim it for you?" The old man asks. Miki looks back to the mirror and plays with his hair a bit.

"Yeah.. But not as short as last time okay? Around here-ish." The boy gestures under his jaw.

"Okay- maybe a bit longer?" The raven asks.

"You can keep it if you want." Humbert mentions. Miki thinks about it with a blink.

"Here." He gestures the length he wants. The old man smiles with a chuckle.

"Whatever you say kiddo. Just let me find the scissors-" He walks off. The raven haired boy looks back at himself. He frowns as he looks at his hair. "Its too thick.. And not even that pretty.." His hands reach to his ears. He pauses and looks into his own eyes. The scars are deep behind his ears; scratched and ripped.

"And they're not even that pretty... Not even that pretty." Miki repeats.

"They hide your scars." Humbert mentions causing the young boy to jump. The old man holds up some scissors as his other arm holds some tarp.

"We could dye it if you want." He suggests.

"Nah, it's too dark to do anything with it so-" Miki shrugs. His dad shrugs too before placing a blanket of tarp down onto the ground. He wraps a plastic poncho around the boy's shoulders and begins cutting his hair. By the end, his hair length was shortened to around the middle of his neck. "There. How's this?" Humbert asks with a smile.

"It's not bad." Miki responds.

"Food time boys! Hurry ov'r here before the flies gobble it up!" Remy shouts from the hall.

"Go on ahead son. I'll clean up." The old man tells the boy. Miki nods, taking off the poncho and runs off for breakfast. Humbert watches his son leave before going into a violent fit of coughs. He holds his arm over his mouth feeling his sore thought getting worse. "... Fuck... " He whispers to himself.

...

Miki sits down at the table waiting for his sister. Said girl twirls her way over and places a plate in front of him. "Ah haven't cooked for someone in ages! And ah think I did-done a decent job today!" Remy grins placing down two more plates of food.

"Now where's y'r popa? Can't eat 'till all th' puzzle pieces 'r here." The red headed girl waves Miki's hand away from the fork.

"Don't worry, I'm here." Humbert walks into the dining room.

"Yes! We can eat now!" Miki cheers before picking up the fork to eat. Humbert sits down.

"Did you make this Remy?" He asks.

"Ah sure did!" Remy smiles with pride.

"It looks great." He tells her. It doesn't take long for Miki to finish first. He picks up the plate and begins making his way to the kitchen. "Now why ar' you such a bumble-bunny today? There a fire at the hole-hive or what?" Remy questions.

"I'm going out today." Miki says as he continues on his way.

"Where ya going? When y' hoping beck?" She shouts.

"Be back an a few hours!" He shouts back. Humbert furrows his eyebrows before swallowing down his food.

"You better not be heading to the dead part of the forest." The old man warns.