03

"Vera, it's almost seven

"Vera, it's almost seven. Get up, you're going to be late!"

My mother's voice startled me out of my sleep. I blinked a few times, trying to clear the fog from my eyes.

I sat up in my bed, rubbing my forehead. My room was still dark, with the curtains still drawn.

I sighed, looking at my clock.

6:49 am.

"Shit," I muttered.

I jumped out of bed, pulling the covers off my bed. I ran to my closet and pulled out a pair of jeans, a black long-sleeve, and a jacket. I threw everything on and crawled on the floor looking for a pair of socks.

"Vera!"

I got out of the room, grabbed my bag, and headed out the door. I walked down the stairs, where my mom was waiting for me in the kitchen. She was wearing a button-down with her hair done up in a bun. She was holding a cup of coffee in her hand, and I could see the steam coming out from the mug.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

I nodded.

She turned around, placing the cup on the counter. "I need you to do the dishes when you get home."

"Okay."

I followed her outside, and she locked the door.

"Have a good day, Vera."

"You too," I said.

I glanced at my mom's car as she pulled away, then headed towards my car. I glanced at the clock on the dashboard, and it read 7:06 am.

I tried to relax, but my mind kept drifting to my plans for nationals. I couldn't afford to be distracted by anything. I needed to focus. I was hoping to get some practice in today before heading to class but clearly, that wasn't going to happen.

I turned the corner and there was my high school, in all its glory. I parked in my usual spot and go out and headed towards my locker, and once I arrived, I opened it up and took out my books.

By the time I made it to homeroom, everyone was already in their seat.

I took my seat next to my friend, Hannah, who was currently staring at her phone.

"Hi," she said, glancing up at me. "How was your winter break?"

"It was okay," I replied.

"Just okay?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well," I began. "I met this absolutely insufferable girl at the rink last week."

"What did you do?" Hannah teased, leaning towards me.

"Nothing!" I said. "She was being such a bitch for no reason." I sat back in my seat, folding my arms across my chest.

She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted when the bell rang. We both turned our heads as our teacher walked into the room. He was a middle-aged man with a white beard, wearing a sweater vest and glasses. He walked up to the front of the class and set his stuff down on the table.