06

I stepped outside of the house and shut the door behind me. I glanced over at Jaxon's car and saw that he had already arrived.

He stepped out of the car, walking around to the passenger's side.

"Hey," he said, glancing at my outfit. "You look nice."

I glanced down at myself, surprised at how confident I felt in this outfit.

"Thanks," I replied, feeling my face grow warm. "You look really nice, too."

He smiled and nodded. "Let me open the door for you."

He opened the door and I climbed into the car, buckling myself into the seat. Jaxon got into the car and closed the door, then started the engine.

He turned on the radio and music, and I felt myself smile. I recognized the song immediately.

I glanced over at him, and he looked away, keeping his eyes focused on the road ahead, and he was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the music.

"Do you know this song?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I do."

He glanced over at me and smiled.

"What's your favorite song?"

"I like a lot of stuff," I replied. "It's hard to pick just one."

"Just tell me one of your favorites."

"I really love eternal flame," I said, remembering the first time I heard the song. It had been about eight years ago and I was in elementary school. My mom bought the CD for me. I didn't know any English at the time so I listened to the song over and over again, singing along with the words as I danced around my room.

Jaxon nodded, smiling. "It's a good song."

"What do you listen to?" I asked.

"Lots of different things," he replied. "Some pop music, a little bit of rock, some indie, you name it."

I nodded, staring out the window as he drove.

He stopped at a red light and glanced over at me.

"I really am glad that you agreed to come," he said, the light turning green.

"I'm glad too."

He smiled again.

We drove for a while longer and eventually reached the party. He pulled into the driveway, and we got out of the car. I saw that there were a couple of other cars parked on the street, but we had been one of the first ones to arrive.

Jaxon opened the front door for me and I stepped into the foyer. The lights were dim, and I could see a few people walking around inside the house. I recognized some of them from school.

Jaxon and I walked inside and he led me towards the kitchen, where a couple of guys were drinking beers and talking loudly to each other. I recognized them from my world history class.

I stood there for a minute, watching as Jaxon went over to the guys, saying something to them. They all laughed, then started talking to Jaxon.

I glanced around the room, trying to figure out what to do next. I could see a few people playing video games in the living room. A couple of people were talking to each other in the corner.

"You want anything?" Jaxon asked, returning to my side.

"Oh, no thanks," I said, glancing down at myself.

Jaxon took my hand, and I looked up at him, meeting his gaze. He stared back at me, a warm smile on his face.

"Hey, it's okay," he said, leaning down toward me. "Just have some fun. Don't worry about anything."