04

Joo Seok Kyung POV: 

It's been 3 weeks since I met that guy. We just ate food, awkwardly glanced at each other and left without a single more word. And that was it. Nevertheless.

I am having a practically better life these past weeks. I got a 9-11 job at a convenience store. I have to work 14 hours a day but it is so much better than wandering around in the streets and even more better than living at Hera palace. I have never done so much work my entire life but I didn't miss ordering around to the workers at my house at all. My father raised us that way. Suppressing others and enjoying others misery.

The first day at work, I almost passed out with the overwhelming amount of work. I had to mop the floor every hour, replace all the products everyday and stand at the counter for hours. Most importantly, speak politely. The store owner here, his temper isn't the best. He is a meager. I heard no one worked here for more than a month because of how he threatens and yells at everyone. But I am used to people yelling and screaming. And to be honest, my father is much worse than him. 

Author's POV:

10:30 pm. Seo Jun threw his cross body bag on the couch and quickly laid on his bed. Letting out deep sighs, he closed his eyes. Working at one of the finest café in Seoul was not the toughest job but having to mentally force himself to get something done obviously was. After the failed suicide attempt, he surely was not having the best time alone. And yet, he was not able to gather enough strength to do it again. Every time he stood at the brim of his balcony or  aligned a chiseled razor with his wrist, the girl flashed in front of his eyes. Her black glossy eyes and painful bruises all over her. Everything. He couldn't forget a single detail about her. 

Squeezing his eyes shut, he rolled over the bed and moved his hand over his silky hair. He was just restless. Until, he heard something clack and after a second, a purl of water was splattering all over from his kitchen sink. His place was confined and small. Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, everything was attached. What could be expected in a not-so-big budget to find a decent place in Seoul? But that was beside the point. The faucet was sputtering and he had to stop this if he didn't wanted to flood his room. 

He grabbed his phone and dialed in the repair company. It was late at night so nobody answered back. He tried to cover up the tap with cloth. It didn't work. He tried to stuff in a thick stick in the pipeline as well. It didn't work either. Without second thought, he rushed outside to get some tapes and a tap regulator.

He went to the nearest store only to find it already shut down. Sprinting as fast as he could, he got to a convenience store in the next street. He rushed inside, grabbed everything he needed and darted at the counter. His face was red and he was out of breath, sweating vigorously. If the place owner were to find out about this, he would be in the hunt of another room in no more than a few hours.

--------------

She looked over the clock. Finally, just half an hour more and then it was done for the day. She stretched her arms and went over and got a ramyeon packet. Customers never usually come after 10 but it was mandatory to keep the store open till 11. Seok Kyung was really exhausted. She boiled some water in a small saucepan and dunked the noodle cake in it. She never knew kimchi and ramyeon would taste better than Italian Caesar Salad. But working at the convenience store made her obsessed over how sour and crazy spicy kimchi went so well with soft and light noodles. Jumping with excitement, she rubbed her hands together and went over to the store room, dancing with glee to get some kimchi to eat with ramyeon .

--------

To Seo Jun's surprise, the counter was empty. He could see boiling ramyeon beside the counter but there was no one. He really couldn't wait there and do nothing. The sight of him searching a house in the scorching heat and homelessly shaking in the cold wind on the streets flared in front of his eyes. No, he couldn't do that. Andwaee.