16

I stand there, frozen in disbelief, as Seojun's words sink in. Everything around me feels like it's crumbling, and the weight of his decision presses heavily on my heart. 

Tears stream down my face uncontrollably, blurring my vision. The pain surges through my chest, constricting my breathing. How did we reach this point? Wasn't our love supposed to conquer all obstacles?

Seojun gently wipes away my tears with his thumb, his touch both comforting and devastating. His voice trembles as he speaks, his own heartache echoing in every word. "Seokyung, I can't watch you suffer because of me. Our love shouldn't be a battle. You deserve to be happy, even if it means being apart."

"But we can overcome this, Seojun," I plead, my voice shaking. "Love isn't supposed to be easy. It's about fighting for each other, for what we believe in."

Seojun's grip on me tightens, his eyes filled with an indescribable mix of love and pain. "I've fought, Seokyung. I've fought against all odds to be with you and so have you. But sometimes, the greatest act of love is letting go. We're both drowning in a world that refuses to accept us. It's tearing us apart, bit by bit."

I try to gather my thoughts amidst the turmoil inside me. How can I let go of the one person who means everything to me? The one who has shown me what it means to be truly loved? The weight of Seojun's decision bears down on me, threatening to crush my spirit.

Seojun holds me closer, his voice barely a whisper. "I want you to find happiness, Seokyung. I want you to live a life where you don't have to walk on eggshells. If that means we can't be together, then so be it."

As his words hang in the air, a profound silence settles between us. The room feels emptier, colder, as the reality of our impending separation seeps into every corner. In this moment, it feels as if time has stopped, and the world exists only within the confines of our shattered hearts.

Seojun's face is etched with pain and longing, mirroring the torment that engulfs my own being. With a heavy sigh, he kisses my forehead one last time, his lips lingering against my skin.  I'm in loss of words unable to halt the reality.

And with those bittersweet words, he releases his grip, stepping away from me. My legs feel weak, threatening to crumble beneath the weight of my sorrow. At that moment, I just walked away, our shared dreams shattering with every step I take. As the apartment door closes behind me, I collapse to the floor, the agony of lost love consuming me.

---------------------------------------------------

I head downstairs and get on a taxi. I take a deep breath, steeling myself for the confrontation that awaits me at Hera Palace. The taxi ride feels like an eternity, my nerves tingling with a mix of loneliness and sorrow. As the grand building comes into view, I pay the driver and step out onto the familiar grounds.

Before I can even make it to the entrance, my mother rushes towards me, her eyes filled with a mixture of concern and anger. Without warning, her hand connects with my cheek in a stinging slap. The force of the blow takes me by surprise, and I stagger backward.

"Seokyung! Are you crazy?" she yells, her voice laced with worry. "Where have you been, and what happened to your dress? Your father has been searching for you for hours. He even sent his men to your pathetic lover's place."

My heart pounds in my chest, a mixture of guilt and defiance swirling within me. I gather my composure and face my mother, my voice trembling but resolute. "Mom, please listen to me. I've made a decision. I will marry Shin Ji Sung. Just... please stop your men from going to Seojun's apartment."

Silence hangs in the air as my mother and I lock eyes, the weight of my choice sinking in. Her expression shifts from anger to surprise, her eyebrows furrowing as she processes my words. Joo Dan Tae, the man I despise, emerges from behind. "So here you are, you fucking bitch," he sneers, his voice dripping with anger. But I refuse to be intimidated. I stand tall, meeting his gaze with defiance.

Before he can utter another word, I interject, my voice firm and unwavering. "Appa, I've made up my mind. This is what I'm going to do. Just promise me you'll call off your men from Seojun's place."

Joo Dan Tae's eyes widen in surprise, a flicker of disbelief passing over his face. Perhaps he didn't expect me to make such a bold decision, to go against his expectations. After a moment of contemplation, Joo Dan Tae sighs, "You've finally shown that you're my daughter. You have made a good choice princess."

And there I was, standing in the midst of wealth and extravagance, about to promise my life to a man I've never spoken to, never truly known. The solemn vows of marriage loom before me, their weight bearing down upon my conscience.