Ch1 | Moving In

Moving to a new house was enough for Malia, but what she wasn't expecting was the change she made, moving to a whole new world on the outer banks of North Carolina.

Loosing all friends was not a common thought that ran through her mind, but what she didn't know was that long distance relationships never seem to remain stable, and there was always one who gave up sooner than the other, in this case, she was the one still holding onto the little bit of hope that they would text her back.

It seemed as though she didn't actually mean that much to them.

"You okay hunny, I know this is big but it'll be good for us. A new start, a fresh place and fresh people to meet." Her dad rubbed her shoulder, snapping her out of her trance.

"Yeah, I'm just a bit bummed about the others, but I'm looking forward to this new adventure." She gave him an honest smile.

~~~

It had been three days since they had moved in and Malia hadn't had any time to go out and meet people because of all the unpacking.

"Mal I was thinking about going out for dinner tonight, what do you think?"

"Yeah sounds great. Where were you thinking?"

"I've heard of this place closer to the water, it's called The Wreck. Seems to be a crowd favourite."

"Sounds great. I'll make a res for 6:30pm yeah?"

"Perfect." They both continued unpacking.

~~~

"Hey sweety." Sam called out a few hours later.

"Yeah dad?"

"I've actually got a response from the local court house about an opening there, I'm meeting with them tonight so I might be late to dinner, don't feel like you can't go without me though."

"Alright, no worries. Do your best, I know you'll nail it. I'm going to go for a quick walk before I head off."

"No worries, be safe."

Mal's walk was peaceful, few neighbours were out gardening and gave her a quick wave as she walked past. Soon enough she found herself turning back.

~~~

Entering the open and bright restaurant, Malia instantly felt uplifted.

"Hi reservation for Reynolds." She questioned.

"Yep, follow me." The waiter smiled and led her to a table for two.

Looking at the menu, she was quick to see what she wanted.

Gazing around as she ate, she noticed how many people around her had smiles on their faces. They all seemed happy and friendly between each other, even from being on different tables.

Feeling the sudden buzz of her phone she checked her messages.

Dad: hey hun, won't be able to make it tonight hope it's okay, quite busy with paperwork right now. I think I've got it!!

Mal: Yayyy!!! Congrats! All good, it's nice and relaxed here, good place so far, we'll deffos come back when you're not so stumped.

After pressing send, she put her phone back in her pocket.

Pulling her chair out to leave, she accidentally knocked into a person walking behind her, his drinks going all over the both of them.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry, I didn't see you." She apologised.

"No, no you're completely fine, I should have watched where I was going." He replied.

"Here sit down, I'll get us some napkins." She offered the seat opposite hers while she got some napkins.

"Here you go, sorry again." She gave a small smile.

"Totally fine, don't even worry about it." He smiled back. "So, what's a pretty girly like you doing all alone in a restaurant?" He questioned cheekily yet seriously, as to not indicate any flirtatious intentions, and she didn't miss the slight genuine concern from his voice at her eating silently by herself.

"Oh, this is what you call being moved to a new world and being run off your feet unpacking so you dont have time to mingle." She replied honestly.

"May I interest you in some assistance with that?" He quirked his brow, hinting at a slight smile.

From his handsome grin, she couldn't help but smile back and slightly nod her head.

"Yeah that sounds great." 

"So, before we leave, what's your name?"

"Malia, Mal for short."

He slapped his hand down playfully for her to take so he could lead the way to his friends.