Ch6 | Deputy

It had only been a few seconds after John B went down when another boat came into view.

Only when it got closer did Mal see that it was a police boat.

"Guys, guys! Look. Cops." She called out, snapping them from their conversation.

"Oh, shit uhh, act natural, deny everything." JJ said rushedly.

Grabbing the rope that the officer threw and tying it to the HMS Pogue, JJ spoke up.

"Afternoon officers, how can we help you?"

"You guys heard the marsh is closed today?" He spoke up while peering around every part of the boat.

"No, no sir we didn't hear anything." Kie replied.

"You guys best be heading home. Were conducting a search party."

"Oh my god, what happened?" Mal questioned, trying to sound genuinely concerned even though she knew what had happened.

"Boat went down in the storm, you let us know if you find anything." Officer Shoupe nodded to all the Pogues, stopping on Mal.

"Hey, you're new here right, Deputy Shoupe, I've heard your dad is a lawyer, might be working together a fair bit." He shook her hand.

"Yeah nice to meet you too. I'm sure he would love meeting you." She smiled back.

"Well you have a lovely day, I would stay away from this lot, they're just trouble." He spoke the last part a bit more quiet, but the others could still hear.

"They've been anything but trouble so far, sir, I might just be the one to reign them in for you." She gave a half fake smile, silently hurrying him back to his boat.

"Now, I expect you all to be gone in a few minutes, don't want to have to arrest anyone." Shoupe looked specifically at JJ as he spoke.

"We will sir, just finishing up here then we'll head off." Mal nodded, speaking up for the others as she seemed to have a better impression on him than the others.

Watching them drive away. They all couldn't help but look over the boat to see how John B was doing. Surely he was looking air right now.

Seeing a few bubbles rise, Mal let out a sigh of relief.

"What happened bro, we thought we lost you there." JJ questioned.

"I ran out of air. Saw another boat and stayed down."

"Good plan, it was the cops." Mal laughed a nervous laugh, giving John B a small hug.

"Uhh guys, bogey at two o'clock." Kie warned, gaining everyone's attention.

Hurrying to the front of the boat JJ began pulling the anchor up.

"Don't wait for me, go, go, go." He shouted when he realised they were waiting for him.

Turning on the boat. John B was quick to turn into the reeds on a little path that was off the normal strip where the other boat was.

Turning her head to look at who they were, a bullet skimmed right in front of Mal's face, missing by a millimetre.

"Guys get down, they've got a gun!" She shouted, pulling each of their shirts for them to crouch.

"John B get down!" Pope called, but he slightly couldn't because of driving the boat.

"Kie what are you doing! Get down, you'll get shot." Mal pulled her arm, stopping when she noticed her struggling with a net.

Catching on Mal stood up into a low crouch, helping Kie out.

"Mal get down, you'll get hit." JJ pulled her arm, but just before he did, the girls got the net into the water, catching in the bogey's propeller.

Falling back into his chest, Mal tightly shut her eyes at the realisation of what had just occurred.

Wrapping his arms around her, they both felt each other's racing hearts.

"Oh my god, I think I'm gonna pass out." Mal quietly spoke now that they were a long distance away from the bad guys and weren't in a frenzy anymore.

"You okay, here lie down on this." JJ took his top off, exposing his defined torso, handing her the shirt to use as a pillow.

Before she had time to fold it, she felt herself blacking out.

Slowly reaching her arm out she just feel JJ supporting her.

"Kie, fold the shirt as a pillow." He instructed while holding the unconscious girl in his arms.

Gently lying her down, he watched her quietly, as with Kie and Pope sharing worried glanced between each other and to the girl.

~~~

Waking up in a dark room, Mal slowly opened her eyes, noticing the drawn curtains.

Standing up slowly, she balanced herself on the walks, walking out to the others on the deck of the chataeu.

"Hey look who it is." John B smiled.

"Hey, feeling alright?" Kie questioned.

"Yeah much better now, I think it was just too much going on at once to cope with." She admitted. "I nearly got shot today!" She only just realised, letting out a small chuckle.

"Our girl is just a magnet. Attracts bullets and boys." JJ commented lightheartedly, winking at her.

"Dude, no Pogue on Pogue macking man." Pope called out.

"What on earth is macking?"

They all shared knowledgeable looks between each other.

"Dating or sex pretty much." John B spoke up.

Spitting out her drink, she suddenly became red faced, finally understanding that in the others eyes, JJ was hitting on her all the time. She just though it was the way he was with everyone.

"You good, don't wanna get wet around JJ." Kie laughed, making Mal's eyes grow even wider, and the red on her face to intensify.

"What?" She asked dumbfounded.

"Come with me, I'll get you a new drink." Kie motioned for the kitchen.

"He's into you, you know." Kie stated when they were far away from the boys.

"Wait what?"

"Mmm, today proved it for me. I've never seen him this way with anyone before. Plus I've seen it in you too, you're into him too. And before you say it's only been like one day, some people do feel connections the moment they meet, otherwise what do you call love at first sight." She smirked.

"I though that that was how he just acted to everyone?" Mal doubted.

"JJ isn't always a very touchy person, he usually just side hugs people, to you it's different, he hug hugs you." She supported her claims.

Unknown to them, the boys also had a very similar conversation going on.