Ch24 | Unexpected Comfort

She didn't know where to go or what to do.

Should she head home and face her father's disappointment.

Should she head to Rafe's for comfort and support.

She knew she couldn't really go to the chateau for Kie, Pope or John B since they would all be with JJ.

She felt lost.

Ending up walking to Heywards shop, she found a cosy spot near the edge of the water.

Lying down, she let the never ending flow of tears fall from her eyes and slowly drop into the water below.

Feeling the soft resting of a hand on her side, she looked up to see Pope giving her a sad smile.

"You alright?" He asked softly.

"No, not really." She mumbled the truth.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"I don't know what to do, I'm so lost. I didn't mean to do anything with Rafe, I was upset and he was conviniently there. I don't know what I was thinking, god I was in a bad mindset." She stopped to take a deep breath to calm her hiccuping voice. "I've just lost the most important thing to me, and along with that all my friends. I don't know where to go because wherever I go, there will be judgement following me around. I just don't know what to do." She broke down, placing her head in her hands.

"Hey, you haven't lost me, or Kie or John B, or even JJ, he's distraught about what happened. Ripping his hair out worrying about his screw up and how you're doing." Pope pulled her into his side, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Just give it time. It'll get better. Healing takes time, and I know it might not be the best thing to say right now, but JJ did what he did with the best intentions in mind. He understands why you did what you did with Rafe and he begs for you to forgive him."

"I want to forgive him, I want to see him right now and tell him that, but I know I can't, at least not yet. It'll take time to forgive him, hell and myself for what we've both done, but maybe that's what's best, us staying apart."

"You're not destined apart, this is just a rough patch between you two, but it'll get better, I promise." He rubbed her arm.

"How do you always know the best things to say?" She lightly smiled at him, bringing him into a tight hug.

"Wanna stay at mine tonight? We don't have to do anything, just chill. It'll let you relax without having to tell anyone anything, not your dad and not the Pogues." Pope questioned softly, knowing that she didn't know who to turn to.

"Really? That sounds good I guess. I'm glad you're here Pope, I'm lucky to have you as a friend." She have him a tight hug.

"No worries, I understand, the others do too. We all know you'll need some space so we're not going to overload you with our beings." He let out a small chuckled, getting one in return from her too.

"Shall we?" He stood up, holding his hand out for her.

"We shall." She smiled as he pulled her up.

She was so glad Pope was there for her. She didn't know how long she would have sat there if he weren't.

Mal didn't know how he did it, but he seemed to always know how and when to comfort her and others around him.

He knew when to be soft, or when to cheer them up, she couldn't feel any glader to have him as one of her closest friends.

~~~

A few days later, occasionally staying at Pope's, Mal was woken up by Pope shaking her.

"Sorry to interrupt your ever so lovely slumber, but John B's in hospital."

"Wait what why?" Mal had quickly become awake at his words.

"Kie just texted me 'JB in hospital, come now.'"

"Oh my god, let's go." They both hurried to get ready before quickly heading to the hospital.

~

"What happened?" Mal questioned when they entered the room.

"Topper pushed him off the balcony of the lookout. Broke his arm." Kie replied for the boy.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" Mal looked towards John B.

"Yeah I'm fine, right as day." He gave a smile.

Mal then cast her attention away from his and unintentionally locked a regretful gaze with JJ.

It wasn't long before the realisation set in and the room grew silent, this was the first time they had all been together again since everything went down.

Mal couldn't stand it, as soon as she looked into his dulled eyes, she felt the tears finding their way to her eyes again.

Mumbling a small 'I gotta go' she made her way out of the small and cramped room.

"Mal stop, please just wait." She heard JJ's voice from inside the room.

Ignoring it, she carried on walking.

"Mal, just wait a second." He grabbed her arm, which she didn't pull away.

"I know you don't want to see me or listen to what I have to say, but I'm really sorry. I'm sorry for how I treated you, the things I said, everything about how I acted was uncalled for. Please forgive me, I'm sorry." She heard a slight crack in his voice, her heart aching at the pain within his voice.

"I'm sorry too." She quietly spoke too after a while of silence, barely loud enough for him to hear.

"I know it's hard but please forgive me, I know I shouldn't have acted like that at all. I'm sorry." He continued.

"JJ, I already have forgiven you. God I hate myself for it though." She let out an exasperated sigh. "Being without you completely sucks, but what you did sucked just as bad. I want to apologise too, what I did was also equally as bad, I know I shouldn't have done it all, and I want you to forgive me." She played with her fingers.

"Of course I forgive you." He hesitantly took her hands into his.

"I know things won't be back to normal for a while but I'm willing to start fresh. Maybe we can just be friends for a bit then see where that'll take us." She gave a small smile.

"I agree. The past is the past, we'll try not to let it get to us that much huh? To a new beginning, a fresh blossoming friendship." He smiled back.

"It'll be hard, but it'll be worth it in the end." She gave him a small kiss on the cheek.

"God I've missed you so much, it's been so painful without you in my life." She shyly spoke the truth.

"I won't let it ever happen again. You're stuck with me now." He gently nudged her arm. Not yet comfortable to be like their old ways.