Ch27 | What, No Way

"Here you go." She said as she passed him a glass of water, sitting down beside him on her bed, placing her own on the bedside table.

"Thank you my love." He joked, smiling at her as she looked at him in confusion.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable like that." He rambled as he saw her expression.

"No, no, no it wasn't you, it's just...my mum would always call me 'my love'. I loved hearing it, god I miss it." She softly smiled.

" What happened to your mum?" He cautiously asked.

"God, I've never really spoken about her, now that I think about it." She let out a distracted laugh.

"Don't tell me if you're not ready to." He rubbed her arm reassuringly.

Taking his hand in her hands, she gave them a little squeeze.

"No, I need to, I want to tell you." She said determinedly.

"So when I was younger, my mum and I were coming home from a day out in the city. We were waiting at the lights when a car ran a red light. It hit a truck and swerved towards us... I was tying my shoes a little further away from the road, and was far enough away that it didn't hit me. I got a small scar from the glass breaking, but mum got hit by the whole car. She was uh... dead on scene, the doctors announced it then took me with them to the hospital." Tears slipped down her face, dampening her cheeks. "I was only 6 at the time. Dad eventually came to get me, he was distraught, his wife had just been killed and his only daughter had her thigh bandaged and bloody. God I hated seeing him like that." She let out a small sob.

Pulling her into a tighter hug, JJ didn't let go.

Gently stroking her hair he whispered small words of comfort.

"I couldn't imagine how traumatic that would be for you." He softly spoke, continuing to rub her arm.

Wiping her tears away, she gave him one final squeeze before pulling away.

"I don't even know what I would have done without dad. But I'm lucky to be here, it's a completely fresh start for us. I'm glad I've got you too." She looked into his eyes with a smile.

"Ahh that feels good to let out, I needed to tell you that." She ran a hand through her hair, already feeling a lighter sense to the air.

"You'll have to show me your sick as scar soon. How have I not noticed it before?" He laughed as she lightly slapped his arm.

"What besides the multiple times you stare at my thighs huh?" She laughed.

"Here I'll show you."

She stood up, lifting her shorts so that the large scar was visible.

"Woah you said it was small, not some giant slash through your whole thigh."

He gently rubbed his hand over it, feeling the uneven scar tissue underneath.

"You are one badass chick." He grinned at her.

"Yeah, I know." She shrugged her shoulders while smiling.

After a couple of hours of talking, the two decided to meet up again with the others and see what the new plan was.

"We've gotta pick Pope up too along the way." JJ spoke up as they both got ready to go on his bike.

"Sweet." She grinned as she tightened her helmet.

~~~

"No effing way?" Mal heard Kie speak as she walked up to the Chateau.