Prologue

Hello Makkalae,

Welcome to saravspace! (Following?)

I am really happy and excited to share that #LettersToMySon is now available on Wattpad! Do support me like you did to #KadavulSetting Magizhchi! Mikka Magizhchi!

And, as usual, I'd like to thank my constants (you know who...) as well as all the new readers for hoping in and reading the story and of course, to my champions-eyy (you know who...)! Nandrigal 🙏

Without much further ado, let's get into the story!

†****************†

"Dad, I'm sick of hearing this for the thousandth time. Will you please stop holding my hand constantly? I'm no longer a kid – not even a teenager, dad. I'm twenty-two. I have brains and I see the world through my eyes; it's awful. No one can change it. I know. And, for God's sake, please stop boasting about your homeland. I'm done with it. I'm leaving, Dad." Ashwin spoke loudly for the first time in twenty-one years to his lovable dad, Aarav.

Aarav was an extra-ordinary person who never gave up on life, despite having a cursed life in many ways. He raised Ashwin with all his might, showering unlimited love on him and, he never let Ashwin feel the void left by his mother's passing a decade ago. Ashwin had been just eleven then; his little heart shed dreadful tears while recalling the horrific car accident that took his mother away. He had cried about it almost every night, for a year. During those nights, Aarav slept next to Ashwin, till he slipped into deep sleep and resumed work to expand his business in order to secure Ashwin's future. Aarav slept less than two hours a day.

Ashwin grew up in Aarav's shadow. He read even his school books the way his dad taught, and not in his teacher's style. Ashwin's love for poetry grew abundantly in his teens, but he had never read a poetry book on his own. Aarav did the reading during the nights, before Ashwin went to bed. Such was the understanding they had. Even Ashwin's love interest Sivaangi knew this, right from the day she had known him. As to the poetry Ashwin wrote for his love Sivu, either Sivaangi or Ashwin himself recited that to Aarav. If at all Ashwin had any secrets, then it would be the odd kisses or intimate moments he shared with his love, Sivu.

Ashwin met Sivaangi for the first time in school. It was a sunny morning, she stood outside the school gate, waiting desperately for School Prayer to get over. Ashwin's gaze met hers, on the way back to class after the prayer session. He felt butterflies inside. And she was lost in his eyes. She looked adorable in the uniform. White shirt, blue skirt and converse shoes. Ashwin could see the beauty even from a good 20-feet distance. All he wished to God was that the newcomer to his class would be this cute girl. God granted his wish. Sivaangi was the only newcomer in the history of the school to join in the Ninth Standard. Usually, the school only accepted newcomers either in Standard Sixth or Eleventh. The exception was possible due to her father's political influence.

Ashwin and Sivaangi's friendship turned into a love story in less than six months. Aarav accepted the relationship right from the beginning. However, Sivaangi's parents were rough at the start; they even assaulted Ashwin via a hired gang of people. As a result, Ashwin had five stitches below the knee. Aarav was more pained on seeing what Ashwin went through.

But like how it played a huge part in healing Ashwin's wound, time helped heal the pain in the hearts of Sivaangi's parents too. They understood Sivaangi's sincere love. Ashwin and Sivaangi stood together and faced the hardships of love. The eight-year-long relationship had its own ups and downs, break-ups and patch-ups, cuddles and slaps and so forth. Yet they stayed together.

The love also helped the couple excel in academics, right from topping the Higher Secondary Examinations at the State Level to getting into one of the top Engineering Universities of India and securing University Medals. They dreamt of pursing their Masters degrees in University of California, Berkeley. It happened sooner than they had expected. While Sivaangi's parents were excited about the news, it was disturbing for Aarav. He never imagined a day without Ashwin by his side. A two-year Masters course and a job after that was totally out of question. Whenever Ashwin spoke about MS or USA, Aarav diverted the topic to love, poetry and food. Aarav believed his son would give up on the course, as Ashwin usually never did anything against his wish.

***

While Sivaangi's father sat in the car, she stood rooted to the ground, waiting for Ashwin to come out of the house. On any other day, she'd have walked inside and dragged him out. But that day was different. They had to catch a flight in less than four hours, and Ashwin was still arguing with his dad.

Silence filled the house for a couple of minutes. As the door opened, Ashwin strode out with two trolley bags and one backpack.

"I will miss you. Take care, my son." Aarav blurted. Ashwin stood like a pillar. After a minute of silence, Ashwin wiped the fresh tears and dragged the trolley to the gate. Sivaangi gave him a tight hug.

"Sivu..." Aarav stammered. "All the very best, Sivu. I'm going to miss you too." He went in and opened the old cupboard to search for the letters he wrote to Ashwin.

The words certainly lit Sivaangi's face, but Aarav was nowhere to be seen. Ashwin deposited the suitcases in the trunk before getting inside the car. Sivaangi got into the car, too. She sat beside Ashwin who forced a smile that she returned. The car sped away as Aarav came out with a set of letters packed in a polythene cover in his hand.

"I miss you my dears." Aarav sobbed. One look at the empty house, his heart broke into pieces. He stood at the gate for a long time with tears flowing non-stop, the first time ever since he lost his dear wife.

***

Sivaangi broke the silence in the car. "It's going to be alright, Ashwin. Uncle will manage to escape the loneliness. After all, he reads a lot of poetry. It will heal him. And..." She fumbled for the right words. "We must refrain from contacting our parents till we complete the degree. I do not want to feel neither homesick nor try to behave normal after that a long Skype or WhatsApp call." She tried to sound formal.

"Dad never let me feel alone after mom passed away. He was there in everything I did. He's part of me and still with me. But..." Fresh tears brimmed his eyes. "Now, I have left him alone. I... feel... guilty... Truly, he loves me madly, Sivu."

"Sivu is right. Try concentrating on your studies. Things will change and I'm sure your dad will cope with this, Ashwin." Ravi spoke for the first time.

***

Rain came pouring down when Aarav was sobbing at the gate, waiting for his beloved son and to-be daughter-in-law's return.

To be continued 💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

†****************†

Makkalae... Unga heart-a thoranthu feedback-a sollunga comment-la.

Kindly recommend my story to at least two of our friends / family and help us reach more people. #PeoplesLove

NOTE: PLEASE READ THE CHAPTER DISCLAIMER IN CASE OF CONFLICTS.

DO READ MY OTHER STORIES WITHOUT FAIL... ESPECIALLY #AshAngi = Ashok + Tangi & Kadavul Setting 1 & 2

With Love,

Mr. Twister @saravspace

Follow On Instagram, Telegram, Twitter & Wattpad