Chapter 2

Lena

"Finally!" I exhaled with joy, while holding my new laptop like a new born child in my arms.

My driver's seat felt somehow smaller than before, like the laptop was a huge box. A huge box of joy!

How much did I want one. How difficult was to save up for it. But finally I have it right here with me. I felt like a was in love, with an object, but still.

I would listen to the sweet keyboard sound, touching its smooth surface, clicking on websites, enjoy a piece of technology and most importantly edit my stories with ease, like a normal person and not with pen and paper. Erase, write over... bah... It was a pain in the ass!

It might took me three days to transfer my manuscript to my laptop, even though I was typing like a mad person, but hearing the sound of typing made me feel like an actual writer. It was almost too sexy to handle!

The guy didn't text me about the cover and it was expected. I didn't really gave it much thought, since I my mind was occupied by my new shiny toy, that cost me a fortune, but I haven't regretted at all.

After three days of doing nothing but working and typing, I signed with relief as the night took over the sky. The battery light turned red, no more editing for tonight, so it was time to find a place to stay for the night.

I was so emotionally drained from all the hard work that I just couldn't take it anymore, so I finally just parked on a street and prayed that no cop would disturb me.

Next day, my lunch shift at work was daunting. People tend to be very mean when they are hungry. They drained the last drop of energy I had and then I had the sweet odacity to edit my story until late at night. That killed me.

I was ready to fall asleep, when I heard my phone vibrate in my bag and reached for it. I opened it quickly and read the text...

I'll help you with your cover

I blinked twice just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

My little impulsive idea came with a happy result after all. I was so relieved that at least I din't humiliated myself much.

We planned to meet tomorrow at a coffee shop close to where I work at 19:00. I felt excitied and anxious, but that didn't deprived my will to sleep like a baby.

---------------------

Our appointment was after my shift at the restaurant and I didn't want to smell like burned frying oil and ketchup. So after my shift, I tried to look more presentable.

I quickly changed from my work clothes to a casual black wrap dress in the restaurant's restroom. It was the only dress I owned. I put my hair up in a ponytail and sprayed it with my body spray. I didn't have time to wash it, but it would contain the smells for a while. I brushed my teeth and put on a little makeup. I also cleaned my sneakers a little like I always do, and I was ready.

I tried my hardest to look like I had my life together, but nothing could be further from the truth...

I parked two blocks away from the coffee shop. If he knew that I was living in my old Toyota Corolla he would never take me seriously and I didn't need anyone to judge my life choices. I've kept it a secret since the moment I have arrived in this city, eight months ago. I could certainly keep it up for way longer.

I admit I put in more effort than I should for this meeting. Mostly because I wanted to be taken seriously, but to be honest, I wanted to look pretty for him and not like a mess. Ego and vanity are sins we all bear.