Chapter 1

Lena

What I liked about this gym when I first came here was that it was close to work, and it was quiet. I never liked big crowds, so I avoided places with lots of people.

I avoided conversations with people as well, so I guessed I could be a little agoraphobic. Or maybe I was just fine. Being cautious never hurt anyone.

As I walked inside, the woman at the front desk smiled widely at me. She always does that, not just to me but to everyone. It was her job to do so, and she was good at it and so pretty.

I could never land a job like that because I wasn't as attractive as her. Physical appearance mattered around here. I wasn't a monster, but I wasn't an Instagram model either.

I paid ten euros to allow me access to the showers and I walked through the weights area towards my destination. On my way there, I was astonished to realize that there were a few handsome guys working out.

Usually, most guys around here are too bulky for my taste. I prefer a lean muscular guy and not the Hulk. I dislike seeing those arm veins pop out so intensely and when their arms are twice the size of my head. Not sexy to me, unless you are the Rock!

And yet, I was just looking around and I had no intention whatsoever of talking to anyone around here ever. Too shy, too cowardly, too low self-esteem... or all of the above.

In my story though, The Rush, my main male character was like that... like the one I was looking at doing push-ups with such ease. Damn, those arms.

I kindly reminded myself not to look intensely at his moving muscles under his red sleeveless T-shirt and tight black shorts... it wasn't polite.

I haven't been with a man romantically involved in too long...

I chuckled with my own thoughts, as I was having an inner conversation with myself again. I mainly have no one else to talk to about those things. Sad but kind of funny, if you think about it more positively.

Perspective is important.

A guy on the treadmill looked at me puzzled.

"Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you" I politely said, but he ignored me. Sometimes I get so focused on my thoughts, that I forget I live among people.

I slowed down my pace, just to look at a guy that was walking in front of me. He had so many tattoos, I couldn't look elsewhere. Nice work!

The main character of my story had a similar style to him. Same hair... same body type... height... and he was very handsome. He could be a great cover for my book, no?

Could I ask him?

Should I dare?

Could I ever talk to a guy like that?

I lacked experience with men. I have dated only two in my life and both of them were the same. They felt the same. They did the same things, they liked the same things, they talked to me in the same way and in bed... guess what? They were no different, the same monotonous movement in and out.

Even though a book cover was not a romantic thing, why was I such a damn coward?

He passed me by and went on with his workout routine on a piece of equipment that tones some muscles...

I kept walking to my destination because if I decided to talk to him, I would never do it while smelling like burned oil, sweat, and many other weird odors.

Right before I enter the showers, I took a glimpse of another guy working out on a piece of equipment. I stood for a few seconds looking at him. He had light brown hair and was wearing a black sleeveless T-shirt and black working-out pants.