Chapter 4

Lena

I took another deep breath. I kept telling myself that I was stronger than this. I repeated it like a mantra. Not the best coping mechanism, but it was the only thing that worked, at least temporarily.

I locked the car and walked slowly towards my meeting spot. I kept looking over my shoulder nonstop. I felt like everyone was looking at me and judging me, when in fact no one paid the least attention to me.

People were happily strolling, playing with balls and rackets, smiling, having a picnic, walking their dogs. Some couples were kissing, babies were crying and laughing, and children happily enjoyed the playground... and all I wanted was to curse them all. Even though my life problems weren't their fault, I really wanted to shout at the top of my lungs for everyone to disappear.

I took another deep breath to calm the fuck down!

For my surprise, I saw Max sitting on a bench talking on the phone. Did he come early? Or was I late?

I took my phone out of my pocket and it was 19:05, so... nothing of the above. After all I've been through today, I managed to come to my appointment on time.

I waved at him silently; I didn't want to interrupt his phone call. I tried to stand there all confident, but I was checking my surroundings like I was being hunted by those crazy pair of eyes I was staring at a moment ago. What a creep!

I focused my gaze on Max, his presence was soothing, and I had a sense of safety around him somehow, even though I didn't know him at all.

Max was wearing all black again, a T-shirt and jeans. I liked his casual yet meticulous style. His nice watch was hanging from his wrist along with those leather bands. His Nike hat hid his beautiful face, but he was handsome anyway.

He raised his eyes on me, acknowledging my presence and smiled at me.

"Sally, I'll call you later," he said while hanging off the phone.

Maybe it was his girlfriend. I never asked his personal status, because I didn't need to, he couldn't be totally single, a guy like that? Don't think so.

He instantly looked at me from head to toe.

"Hey" I greeted him with a forced smile.

"What happened to you?" he frowned with concern.

"Nothing, I'm fine. And you?" I tried dodging the question.

"That looks fresh" he came closer and touched my neck on the bruises. His touch was warm, unlike the creepy guy's strong grip. I backed up a little instinctively and swallowed hard. I didn't want anyone to touch me right now. I should have put on some make-up to hide it or cancel the whole thing and stay hidden until all the bruises were gone. But no! I was stubborn and refused to ruin my day for this creep. And here we were, Max was investigating my 'injuries' like he was a freaking doctor.

"My hickey?" I said playfully but he didn't buy it.

"That's not a hickey" he insisted.

"Are you ready to take some pictures?" I dodged his inquisition and took my phone out.

"You have scratches all over you. Are you alright?"

Who was he, Sherlock fucking Holmes?!

"Max, I'm fine, what's wrong with you? Let's take the picture and we can both be on our way. I don't want to waste your whole afternoon" I gave him another forced smile.