Chapter 10 Part 2: The Scapegoat Theory

I held up the next card, which read Normative Social Influence.

"Uhh..." said Arthur.

"We just went over this one," I reminded him.

"I know, I know- right. Okay. It means... Influence resulting from... someone's desire to gain approval."

"Or avoid disapproval," I added. I flipped to the next card.

"Conformity."

Arthur pressed his fingers to his temples. "Changing your behavior to coincide with a group standard."

"Right." I nodded, and flipped the card again.

"Scapegoat Theory."

"Oh.... When you blame someone else for something."

"The theory that prejudice offers an outlet for anger by providing someone to blame," I read. "You were close."

"That's what I said!"

"Not quite. First of all, you forgot to mention that it's a theory. That's really important to the definition. Second of all, you said nothing about the person being an outlet for-"

"Of course I know it's a theory," Arthur interrupted, waving his hand impatiently, "It's called the Scapegoat Theory. I'm not about to get that mixed up on the exam, how stupid do you think I am?"

The corners of my mouth twitched. "Well-"

"It was a rhetorical question," Arthur growled, knowing exactly what I had been about to say.

A girl walked into the rotunda just then. I glanced up from the cards and my stomach lurched- it was Freya. She was wearing hunter green rain boots and a black raincoat that was still dripping with water with every step she took. The skin on her face was bare, but I thought she looked just as beautiful as she did with the full face of makeup that she usually donned. Her gaze swept over the room and my heart began to race.

I then did something completely moronic and utterly humiliating: It was as if my body couldn't decide whether or not it wanted to dive for cover under the table. And so to compensate for my brain's indecision my legs gave a funny little spasm and I slid about halfway off my chair onto the floor before my arms caught myself and hauled me back up. Unfortunately, I also succeeded in accidentally kicking Arthur in the shin, if his sudden hiss of pain was anything to go by.

I didn't even have time to apologize. Freya had spotted us and was walking over to our table.

"Hi Ethan. Hi Arthur," she said brightly. I don't think she noticed my spasm, or if she did she was pretending that she hadn't. Thank you, Universe, for small mercies.

"Hey," I said in what I hoped was casual acknowledgement, as I propped my arm nonchalantly on the table.

"Hi," Arthur grunted.

Freya eyed Arthur's pained face curiously for a moment before turning to me. "What are you guys working on?"

I gestured to Arthur. "I'm helping him study for his Psychology class," I said.

"That's nice of you," said Freya.

"I don't mind," I replied modestly. I fidgeted with the notecards. "What are you here for?"

Freya swept her damp hair out of her eyes. "I'm meeting my group members for a group project. It's for my Communications class."

"Oh. That sounds... fun," I said lamely.

"Not really," Freya sighed, "I'm not a big fan of group projects. I'm usually the one who ends up doing most of the work while the others slack off."

I could certainly relate to that. Group members usually take advantage of my work ethic and save their portions until last minute. I always get anxious and begin working on the project weeks in advance, leaving little more to be done when it comes close to the deadline.

"I'm not crazy about group projects myself," I said. "Been there, done that."

"Yup," Freya agreed, fiddling with a loose thread on her sweater.

There was an awkward silence. Rain could be heard pounding furiously on the domed glass ceiling of the rotunda.

"Some weather we're having," I said weakly, and then immediately wished I could snatch the words back out of thin air. I was talking about the weather, of all things.... Arthur shook his head hopelessly but Freya smiled at me again and I suddenly couldn't care less what Arthur thought.

"I know! What is it with all this rain? It makes me want to sit inside all day and watch movies." Her eyes suddenly lit up. "You know... a few of my friends and I are going out to dinner tonight and then to a movie at the Cinemark in the mall. You guys should join us."

"Really? That- that sounds fun," I stammered, wiping my sweaty palms on my knees. "But I don't know if I-"

"Count us in," Arthur cut in, before I could say something stupid. "What restaurant is it?"

"It's El Rincon on Nicholasville Road. We're meeting there at seven o'clock," Freya said. "I'm driving but I don't think my car has enough seats-"

"That's alright," said Arthur quickly. "I have a car, I can drive me and Ethan."

Ethan and I, I yearned to correct, but I didn't want Arthur to clout me on the back of the head in front of Freya, so I bit my tongue.

"Great!" said Freya. She grinned at me, and I smiled tentatively back. "Well... I'll see you tonight." And she turned and walked away towards the table where her group members had begun to assemble.

Panic started to set in then when I realized exactly what had just happened. I immediately turned to Arthur. "What have you done!" I whispered desperately. "Now I'm going to have to spend the whole night with her. I'll make a fool of myself! She'll hate me!"

"Calm down Ethan, it's not a big deal, it's just dinner and a movie," Arthur said indifferently.

"It may not be a big deal to you! But I've never been on a date before!" I hissed.

"This isn't a date," said Arthur, "it's a friendly dinner. Just relax, will you? You're going to give yourself indigestion."

I shot him a filthy look. "I only get indigestion from eating spicy foods," I snapped.

"Well then, you know what foods to avoid at dinner tonight." I must have continued to look a strange mixture of both furious and terrified, because Arthur's firm gaze cracked a little. "Ethan- don't worry so much. It'll be fun. And if it's not, I can drive us straight back home."

There was nothing I could do about it now, I thought despondently, so I just nodded. We packed up our study materials not long after, as I was unable to concentrate on anything other than my evening with Freya and Arthur was too fed up with schoolwork to continue on his own.