Chapter 20: Always Lock Your Great Grandmother's Cabinet

After showering and making use of the facilities again (this time exercising extreme caution while operating the toilet and the sink), I threw on some clothes and poked my head out into the hallway. It was vacant and silent, so I crept down the hall to Arthur's room. I knocked softly. There was no answer. I knocked again. Still no answer.

"He's not going to wake up for at least another two hours," said a voice from directly behind me.

I jumped violently and wheeled around. Standing in the doorway across from Arthur's room was a boy. He was younger than me, with blonde hair and brown eyes and Arthur's nose. He looked like he was about old enough to be in high school.

"I know," I said stupidly.

The boy stared at me. Apparently staring runs in the family. I shifted nervously under his close scrutiny.

"You're Arthur's friend?" he said, and I thought that there was a little too much emphasis on the "you're" than was necessary.

"Yes. Well, I'm his roommate, actually. I'm Ethan," I said, holding out my hand.

We shook. His eyes scanned me up and down, sizing me up. "I'm James. Arthur's brother," he elaborated. I was surprised- I hadn't known that Arthur had a brother. His voice held the same arrogance as Arthur's does when he describes the best plays he's made during football games.

"It's nice to meet you," I lied.

"How long are you staying here?"

"Uhh...." I honestly had no idea. Not too long, I hope. "Probably a couple of days."

James nodded. "Good," he said. Then, "What happened to your leg?" he asked rudely.

This kid is a nosy little bugger, I thought. "I was in a car crash," I said.

"Oh, you're that kid who was in the coma!" James's eyes grew round. "That's so cool!"

"Not exactly the word I'd use to describe it," I muttered.

"What was it like?" James asked. "Do you remember anything?"

"No, I was unconscious," I said. I was visited by a strong urge to whack him upside the head with my crutches. Maybe that'll knock him out, and he can see how he likes it. Better yet, it might knock some sense into him.

"Oh, that's too bad," drawled James, as he picked at his nails. "At least you've got a cool story to tell people now."

"Yup, I've got that going for me," I said flatly.

Without so much as a goodbye, James slipped past me and made his way down the staircase.

I stood awkwardly in the empty hallway for another couple of seconds, staring after his retreating back, before I remembered what I'd come out here for. I opened Arthur's door and wandered into his bedroom. He was still asleep. I limped over to his bedside and peered down at him. He was drooling on his pillow again.

"Arthur!" I whispered. "Wake up!"

Arthur didn't move.

I hesitantly poked him in the sleeve. "Arthur!" Still no response. I poked him again.

His eyelids fluttered and he groaned. He groggily opened his eyes. They roved over me, sliding in and out of focus.

"Ethan, you creep," he mumbled sleepily. His voice was muffled by his pillow. "What do you want?"

"It's Thanksgiving!" I said excitedly.

"So?" Arthur rolled over onto his other side so he wouldn't have to look at me. Affronted, I grabbed his blankets and tugged.