Chapter 2 || Annabeth

Annabeth knew Percy like she knew the back of her hand.

Likewise, she knew Percy was bothered by his curse. It wasn't hard to tell, even if Percy had mastered masking his emotions. Part of her felt guilty for being one of the reasons why Percy always acted as if he was fine. The seaweed brain never knew what was good for him in the first place and he was selfless to add on top of that. But watching him flipping and diving in those crystal blue waters made her heart swim and her stomach flutter.

He was just so... cute.

"Clarisse!" Percy yelled as he grabbed his sword.

Over the years, Annabeth had learned not to be jealous of Percy and Clarisse's friendship. As to when she first met her, she thought Percy liked her or something. Now, the thought of them being romantically involved just wasn't right anymore.

"You're going down, Prissy!" Clarisse screeched, her spear crackling with electricity.

As their weapons clanged together, Annabeth couldn't help but flinch. Even if she'd been in the Olympians for enough months to know that Percy and Clarisse didn't practice with practice blades, it still worried her whenever their weapons would slice through the air centimeters away from the killing point.

Percy's the best spy in Olympian history and Clarisse is his friend. They'd never kill each other! she thought to herself as she watched them fight.

Both were competitive as they pressed for power. It always scared Annabeth when the fire in Percy's sea-green eyes would start crackling, the adrenaline of fighting coursing through his veins. The inner beast within him could take out two whole armies in ten minutes, if he chose to unleash it.

As Percy disarmed Clarisse, her spear flying off somewhere while Percy kicked her to the floor, the fire in his eyes died and that cute little innocent grin appeared on his face again. He held out his arm to Clarisse, who grudgingly took it, muttering something about him being a 'lucky bastard'.

"And I win again," Percy said smugly, as if to taunt the daughter of Ares.

Clarisse snarled and slapped him playfully.

"I let you," she scoffed, but a small smile reached her lips.

"Is Clarisse smiling--"

"Shut it, dumbass."

"If I'm a dumbass, you're a wuss!" Percy retorted.

"A wuss? I'll have you know that the way you execute your job is like a wuss."

"You don't even know how to use the word 'wuss'!" Percy shot back. "Probably 'cuz your spear broke just like your dignity--"

"HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO BREAK MY SPEAR?!" Clarisse whacked him in the face. "Go to the princess, Prissy. I'm gonna get some water."

Annabeth always felt like Clarisse didn't trust her, as she was always giving her suspicious glances.

"Don't worry about Clarisse. She's just like that around new people. For some reason, she's crazy protective about me. It's weird," Percy said, munching on a blue cookie.

Percy took a seat next to her, wiping off the sheen of sweat on his forehead. He looked bright and happy, causing Annabeth to silently thank the gods and the Fates for not killing anyone. If they did, only the gods know what pain Percy would be in. And he wouldn't be her seaweed brain.

"What are you thinking about, Wise Girl?" Percy chuckled, putting an arm around her.

"You," Annabeth answered truthfully, putting her head in his lap while he played with her hair, braiding it and unbraiding it.

"Wanna spar, Thalia?" Jason asked, getting up.

Thalia smirked and brought out her spear. Annabeth had to admit, even if they were new, Percy trained them hard enough for them to seem as if they weren't new. That stupid little seaweed brain always said it was their willpower, but he was always humble. It wasn't anything new.

"You're on, lil' bro." Thalia smirked. "I'm gonna cook you."

"I don't think so, sis." Jason made a dramatic scoff worthy of Zeus. "When it comes to fighting, I'm the big sibling here."

His gladius met Thalia's spear and her shield, Aegis, with a clang, ringing around the whole training arena. Piper had taken her seat next to Annabeth. Looking at the Cherokee daughter of Aphrodite, Annabeth realized how close they had gotten. She knew the story behind what she wore, how she did her hair, and even why the feather hung on her front strand of brown, choppy hair.

"YEAH, JASON!" she cheered when Jason managed to send Thalia's spear flying.

Thalia sent her a pout and Piper's expression became apologetic.

"Sorry, I love you, too, Thalia."

A shrug came from Thalia's shoulders as she quickly picked up her spear, going back in the fight. Nico was quietly sipping a coke, looking over at Percy as he drank the dark soda. Annabeth's heart was full of sympathy as she looked at the boy. He still hadn't gotten over Percy and she always felt guilty for being Percy's girlfriend when she knew her best friend liked him.

He'll be able to find someone new, Annabeth. Nico will find someone even better than Percy, she thought, trying to reassure herself.

But she knew Nico wasn't the best at letting things go, especially after Bianca died.

"YEAH!" Thalia screamed when she somehow managed to bump Jason's sword out of his hand.

She tackled him to the floor, leaving her younger brother on the floor, groaning.

"TAKE THAT, LIL' BRO! I'm still the older sister here." Thalia smirked, helping her brother up.

"Lucky shot..." Jason muttered as he took a seat next to Percy, sweating. "You did a good job training them, Perce."

"Nah, they're just natural born fighters," Percy insisted, taking a swig of his blue coke.

"Neeks, you up for some sparring?" Hazel asked as she got up, going to her older brother.

"Oh... uhm... yeah," Nico cleared his throat. "Sure."

His stygian iron sword met her spatha as they sparred, the two children of Hades roughing it.

"You know, Hazel looks pretty when she does that..." Frank whispered when Hazel flung her curly hair back, kicking Nico in the stomach.

"Frank's falling..." Leo fake-swooned over onto Percy's shoulder.

"Shut up." Frank's cute little baby panda face turned beet red as he stared at his girlfriend.

"Only Aphrodite knows how much they love each other," Piper whispered to her.