Chapter 36 || Thalia

Thalia was never a very good listener, but Hazel's vent was... pure gold.

"...and we need to get Apate and Aletheia together again so we can finally unleash the one honest desire, which is connected to the Night Leaves!" she finished, gasping for breath.

"You done?" Thalia raised an eyebrow.

"Yep." Hazel sat down.

"And you realized this in Apate's garden? Hazel, what if she was trying to trick you?"

"She doesn't have a reason to be tricking me."

"She's the goddess of trickery, Hazel."

"Yes, but that doesn't matter. If I'm right, it's the best shot we have of getting a night leaf. Also, this palace is really creeping me out, so I wanna get out of here as soon as possible."

"So... is Aletheia on her way here?"

"She hasn't responded," Hazel sighed. "But we can try and Iris message her."

"She's a goddess, Hazel. Do you think she'll respond to Iris messages sent by demigods?" Thalia asked.

"Worth a shot." Hazel shrugged, tossing a coin into the steam Thalia had made from her earlier shower. "Oh Iris, show me Aletheia at the interrogation facility."

There she was. Aletheia in a 14-year-old form like Apate. She was in a champagne sundress, her amber eyes glinting underneath the sunlight. Her blonde hair was flowing out behind her in slight waves, her lips soft and pink. Her eyelashes had a hint of mascara and a small dusting of highlighter coated her cheekbones, but other than that, she was beautiful.

"Can I help you?" she asked, staring into the Iris message.

"Yes, Lady Aletheia."

"What for?" Aletheia asked. "Wait... is this Hazel and Thalia?"

"Yes--"

"No. I'm not going over to Apate's palace."

"What? Why?" Hazel asked. "Wait! Please don't wipe away the message!"

Aletheia sighed, stepping away from the message. "Why should I come over to the sister I don't wanna talk to anymore?"

"Because she wants to see you, Aletheia!"

"Why? So she can steal another boy from me?" Aletheia huffed.

"No--wait, what?"

Aletheia shot them a bitter smirk. "You wanna know a story? When Apate and I were in college at Olympian University for our junior year, I met this senior named Eros. Yes, the son of Aphrodite. Obviously, he was the hottest boy I've ever met. Since I'm the goddess of truth, I naturally spilled the truth to Apate. And what did she do? She ended up getting engaged to him!"

Both demigods were staring at Apate in shocked silence.

"I know. Shocking, right? Of course, things didn't work out between them when Apate was Nyx's daughter and Aphrodite didn't like Nyx so he wasn't allowed to see her anymore and Apate wasn't allowed to see him, but they still fought to see each other! They couldn't after Zeus put his foot in the matter, but she still stole him from me! And I found out in the worst way!"

"H-How'd you find out?"

"It was disgusting! I found them in her bedroom under the sheets doing Zeus knows what! I always knew that Apate was the more seductive one and the prettier one that all the guys fell for, but I didn't think she'd go full-on with the guy I liked!" Aletheia groaned. "So naturally, when the Olympians gave me my own facility, I waved it in her face like she did with Eros. I got every chance I could to prove myself. She and I had this huge argument about it... and we just didn't see each other again."

"Oh..." Hazel squeaked.

"And why do you want us to meet up?" Aletheia raised an eyebrow.

"Well, you know who Percy is, right?" Thalia asked.

"Yeah, I love that kid."

"He's dying."

Aletheia choked on the air. "What?"

"He's dying and we need Apate's Night Leaves for the cure."

"Okay, first of all, I'm sorry about Percy. Secondly, Apate doesn't give anyone Night Leaves. In the years after she and I both planted the night leaves, she hasn't given anyone the leaves."

"But I figured out what the leaves are linked to! If you just came over and talked it out with your sister... I'm sure it'll all work out!"

"Young children, you are way too hopeful. I'll consider it... but expect a no."

She wiped through the message and Thalia sighed. "I'm gonna go talk to Apate about it."

___

"She said all of that to you?" Apate asked while she sipped her tea.

"Yep," Thalia said. "Please don't try and lie, Apate. Aletheia is the goddess of truth and she can't lie. Okay... surely you made some mistakes too!"

"I only stole Eros because she stole my parents' favor!"

"Who says? Nyx loves you!"

"But Erebus liked her more before she started becoming some celebrity bitch!" Apate sighed. "But it doesn't matter. We will never speak and I don't intend on speaking to her ever again."

"Then... I guess Percy isn't making it out," Thalia sighed. "Sorry, Perce..."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait..." Apate looked at her. "You say your friend 'Percy' isn't making it out of where?"

"He's cursed to live in Tartarus while he's unconscious."

"The Death Curse... ah..." Apate sighed. "Judging by the way you say his name, you must care for him a lot...

"He's the kindest person I know..."

"The Death Curse is something he doesn't deserve. Not even the most foul of people deserve it. I wish him all the best."