Chapter 34 || Jason

Jason didn't know what to expect from Piper's dad. Normal dads were very protective over their daughters, but he didn't know Tristan McLean. What could he say? Hey, I'm dating your daughter and we've been dating for like... a year now, so TADA? They were standing in front of a grand mansion. Piper's grip on his hand was like a jar lid screwed on so tight that it was impossible to open.

"You good, Pipes?" he asked.

"Y-Yeah..." Piper stuttered. "I'm good."

Sympathy flooded through his heart for his girlfriend. Meeting his dad was the most nerve-racking thing Jason had ever done in his entire life. It still was scary every time he went to the electricity facility. But he could never imagine what it'd be like to knock on his dad's door at 2 AM in the morning with a large battleship parked a few blocks down.

Leo pressed the doorbell two times and they waited outside, nervously tapping their feet and shuffling. Finally, the door opened and there stood a very confused Tristan McLean in silk pajamas.

"Wha... Who are you and what are you doing here at 2 in the morning?" He was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Uh... hey, Dad..." Piper stared at her father.

"Pipes?" Tristan's eyes widened as he gazed down at his daughter. "Who are these two kids?"

"I'll explain when we get inside... but we can't stay out for too long."

Tristan seemed to understand as he led them inside, closing the door behind them.

"So... what's with the night time door-knocking?"

"We're kinda on a mission right now," Piper said. "An illegal mission. You see, our friend, Percy, is dying right now and we only have nine days left to save him. We're only here for the day, but we need a place to stay for tonight while we get... dirt from the Underworld."

Jason expected Tristan to be weirded out by Piper's previous statement, given that he knew nothing about Olympian vocabulary, but he just nodded.

"You can sleep in your room, Piper," Tristan said.

"What about my friends?" Piper asked, motioning to them.

"Oh, right..." Tristan yawned. "Nice to meet you, I'm Tristan McLean, Piper's dad. Pardon the wording, but... who are you?"

"Hey, Fancy Man!" Leo piped up before Jason could say anything. "I'm Leo, the supreme friend of Piper and a Flamin Hot McShizzle! Also, Supreme Commander of the Argo--"

"Oh-kay!" Piper slapped a hand over his mouth. "Introduce yourself, Sparky."

"Well, my name's Jason and I'm... uh..." Jason found himself spluttering. "Piper's boyfriend."

Tristan had a reaction similar to what Jason was expecting. He choked on the air as he stared, flabbergasted.

"Uh... n-nice to meet you, Jason," he stuttered, giving Jason an awkward handshake.

"So... where do they stay?" Piper asked.

"They can stay in any of the guest bedrooms," Tristan said carefully.

Something about his tone told Jason that he wasn't very comfortable with him, due to him being in a relationship with his daughter.

"Thanks, Dad!" Piper gave him a hug before racing up the steps, Leo trailing behind her.

Before Jason could follow, he felt Tristan grab his arm. He turned to face the man and found his eyes full of caution.

"I know you're her girlfriend and I don't exactly have a very strong right as to say whether she can date you or not because she's basically independent... but all I ask of you is to not sleep in her room. My parenting isn't hawk-eyed and I can't keep an eye on you two--not saying that you'll do the nasty or anything."

"Of course," Jason replied respectively. "And I understand everything, Mr. McLean."

"Tristan," he corrected. "Just call me Tristan."

"Tristan," Jason corrected himself before racing up the stairs after his girlfriend.

___

Jason laid down on the bed in the guest bedroom next to Piper's. The pillows were soft and luxurious, as one's mansion bedroom normally has. The mattress wasn't too hard, but it wasn't too soft. The sheets were silky and cool, at the same time, they made sure you weren't freezing cold. His only way to communicate with Piper was through his watch.

"Hey Pipes," he whispered.

"Yeah?" her voice came through.

"Are you asleep?" Wait... stupid question.

"Jason... What do you think?"

"Sorry," Jason apologized. "How you holding up there?"

"I haven't seen my dad in over a year. What do you think?" Piper asked flatly.

"Right..." Jason sighed. "Listen, I'm here to talk if you want to."

"I don't want to talk," Piper groaned. "I just wanna get out of here as soon as possible so we can finish the mission, get back to headquarters, and get out of California."

"Are you sure you don't wanna talk--" Jason started, but Piper had already began her rampage.

"You know, you'd think a daughter reuniting with her dad is something rejoicing and fun, but no.  It was always because of my dad that I was always bullied at school! And no, it's not because he's a movie star. They don't even know that he's Tristan McLean! But they see me as Cherokee, like my father. Not saying that being Cherokee is a bad thing, but I hate it that they bully me for it! All the girls who used to be my childhood bullies are still going to school down the street, where I used to go before I got with the Olympians."

Jason was about to say something when Piper continued to vent.

"And I'm not a mindreader! I can't tell if my dad wants me home or not or if he hates me for leaving him behind like this! I don't even know if he's dating someone else or if he adopted another daughter for the gods' sake! And also, what if he's in danger again because I'm a spy?! You know how dangerous it can be and it's why we distance ourselves, but I'm in close contact again and the monsters are sure to smell my Pantene shampoo. Should I switch shampoos? But if I switch my hair would be--"

"Pipes!" Jason finally felt the urge to cut in. "I love that you're talking... but it's 3 AM. Can we sleep?"

"Oh... right... sorry. Love you, Jason."

"Love you too, Beauty Queen." Venting Queen.