Chapter 6 || Nico

Getting punched in the jaw by your crush isn't something most people would dream about.

The nurse's office was full of the smell of latex and ointment as Nico took a seat on one of the beds.

"What happened?" she asked as she surveyed Nico's bruised jaw.

"I got punched in the face," Nico replied.

"By who, dear?"

"I don't know," Nico lied. "I wasn't looking."

Taking out a bag, she shoveled ice into it and wrapped it in paper towels.

"Take this, Nico, okay? And... Percy? You don't look so good over there."

Nico turned to see Percy rubbing his temples. Migraine, he guessed.

"Yeah, uhm... Do you have aspirin by any chance?" he asked.

"Of course, dearie." She took out a pill set, popping one out. "Take this. Is it one of those chronic migraines?"

"Yeah," Percy said, tilting his head back as he swallowed the aspirin. "I just have a lot of homework and I got a little stressed last night when I stayed up doing it." That was a lie. Nico knew it was because of what happened in the cafeteria.

"Well, I hope you feel better dear. I'll talk to your teachers about lessening the homework load."

Percy gave the nurse a tired smile. "Thanks, Nurse Ellen. C'mon, Neeks. Let's go."

Nico silently got up, following Percy out of the door. He was about to ask Percy why he had punched him in the face, but he stopped himself. It was obviously for the spy work.

"Look," Percy sighed. "I'm sorry about the... punch to the face."

"It's okay," Nico said. "If you didn't do it, there'd be suspicion. You had to."

Percy suddenly grabbed Nico's arm and twirled the boy around so that he faced him. Nico stared into his sea-green eyes, beautiful as ever.

"But I'm still sorry, Neeks," Percy said. "For everything."

"It was just a punch--" Nico started but Percy cut him off.

"No. For everything. Bianca included," Percy said the last part quietly. "I completely understand if you hate me for it. I don't blame you at all."

With that, he left Nico alone by the lockers as he walked to the cafeteria. Of course, Nico was supposed to follow, so he did, but the thought kept racing back to his mind.

"I completely understand if you hate me for it. I don't blame you at all."

Nico didn't hate Percy for it. He hated himself for making Percy believe it was all his fault. Percy had tried his best and Nico failed to acknowledge that over his grief. But Percy was still Percy. Apologizing for things he didn't even do wrong. Humble... so humble that Nico questioned every bit of his words. If they were genuine or not. But they were genuine, alright.

Sitting down at the table, he heard someone calling his name.

"Nico?"

Percy blames himself... Nico, it wasn't his fault, you bastard!

"Nico!"

Nico jolted in his seat, looking over to see Thalia glancing at him questioningly. "Are you okay?"

"Oh... uhm... yeah. I was just thinking about something."

"I'm sorry, Nico. I shouldn't have said anything," Thalia said, looking at him.

"It's not me you should be apologizing to," Nico said quietly. "Percy was the one who had to punch me."

Thalia looked over at her cousin, who was busy taking out cash to go buy grape juice from the vending machine.

"Migraine?" she asked, guilt creeping into her voice.

Nico almost felt even more guilty for making Thalia guilty. Ugh! Why was he always there at the wrong moment?

"Yeah," Nico finally said after silence. "He said it's okay and that he gets them a lot anyways."

He winced as his jaw screamed at him for talking. By the time he took the ice pack away from his face, his right side was numb and freezing cold. Just like that time in the snow with Bianca.

--FLASHBACK--

"Nico!" Bianca laughed. "Get over here, you little grasshopper!"

Nico giggled playfully, pushing his way through the snow mounds.

"Nikolai!" she said his full name.

He continued playing in the snow, showering himself in the white flakes. Percy burst out of another snow mound, Thalia right next to him as she got out of there, shivering slightly. Opposite to Thalia, Percy flew out of the mound, grinning. That Kelp Head had never minded the cold. Of course, Thalia did, but Percy? He'd love to move to the North Pole.

"Last one down the hill is a rotten egg!" Annabeth yelled as she got on her sled, taking off.

"HEY! YOU DIDN'T GIVE US A WARNING!" Thalia and Percy yelled as they took off down the hill.

Nico had almost forgotten he had to go until he leaped down the hill, his black sled gliding down. He passed Thalia, who glared at him. Percy was busy propelling down the hill, past Annabeth. Thalia picked up her speed, barreling forward towards Annabeth. So Nico did, too. The three of them ended up in a heap under the hill while Percy got off his blue sled, grinning with excitement.

"LET'S DO IT AGAIN!" he cheered.

"PERCY!" a yell sounded as Percy turned to the van.

Now, Nico remembered that Percy's gaze had been full of fear as his sea-green eyes darted around, like a hunted animal. Smelly Gabe was sitting in the driver's seat. "GET IN, PUNK!"

Bianca had started walking over, as if to talk to the old man.

"Uh... sir... If you don't mind, Percy wants to play a little bit longer. Just one more time down the hill. Surely you could wait five minutes--"

"NO!" Gabe roared, glaring at Percy. "The kid needs to get inside this car right now. I have a party tonight and I can't wait for him forever."

Nico couldn't help but remember the fear flashing through Percy's eyes as he hesitantly entered the van. Even Bianca looked puzzled, thoughts probably flowing through her mind.

"Percy, tell me whenever--" Bianca stared but Gabe had already took off.

The last thing Nico remembered of Percy on that day was the tear that rolled down his cheek as the van sped off. But why was the tear there? Why did he look so terrified?

--FLASHBACK OVER--

"Come on, the first bell rang!" Hazel grabbed his arm.

Just like that. Forgotten.