Chapter 2

MISHA

[New York, Manhattan - Ender's apartment - Evening, 6:42 p.m.]

"Honestly Misha, personally talking here, I wouldn't go. You don't even know who he is, if he's telling the truth or not. Are you willing to get on a plane and fly to another state with someone who claims that he met you at a hospital but you don't remember a thing?" He shook her head and grabbed one of the nachos covered in hot cheese, stuffing it in her mouth. "A big no"

"But the voice is telling me to go.." I grabbed some nachos as well, a big frown on my face.

"If the voice told you to throw yourself into a river, would you do it?"

A moment. "No?"

She pulled a ridiculous expression. "Was that a question?"

"No. Of course I wouldn't do it, Der" I sighed. "But..what if Axl is right? I need to remember what happened that night... it's gonna kill me"

"Don't you have any survival instincts in you?"

"Clearly not. Have you met me?"

She exhaled. "I say you consult that poor doc you ditched"

"Way too embarrassed to show up there again"

"You hesitate to go back to your doctor but not to run away with hospital kid?"

"I never said I'll do it. I'm just...thinking about it"

"I'll tell you what" Ender dropped the nachos and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "We have his number. I say we get our facts straight"

"Huh?"

"Let's make sure Axl is who he says he is" She grabbed her phone with dirty hands and begun dialing a short number.

I scrunched up my nose in disgust. "at least clean your hands first"

"Sh" she put the call on speaker.

"Hello. You just called the Directory Assistance for Cell and Landline Phones. How may I help you?"

"Hey! There is this weird number that keeps calling me and hanging up on me these past few days and it's been bugging me quite a lot. I just want to know who this number belongs to. Can you help a girl out?"

"Sure. Let me just check if the owner has the number blocked. Can I please have it?"

"Great, yeah. So it's 216-xxx-xxxx"

There was a pause, waiting for the information to load.

"Alright. The number isn't blocked. It belongs to 'Axl Reed' from Cleveland, Ohio"

Ender shot me a glance. "ah, okay! Thank you very much for your time"

"You're welcome. Have a nice rest of the day"

"You too, bye" Ender ended the call and looked at me.

I looked back at her, pulling my bottom lip right in-between my teeth.

"So, homeboy is telling the truth about his name. He isn't a fraud so far"

I begun rubbing at my face in frustration.

"Hey, that's a good thing, Mish. Cheer up"
She said and continued eating her nachos.

"Can we change the subject? I have to talk about something else. Anything else"
I locked my fingers in-between my hair and pulled lightly at them.

"Kay uhm.." she swallowed her food.

My eyes then dropped at a new scarf around her neck. "Pretty scarf. When did you buy it?"