Chapter 5

[Cleveland, Ohio, Forest Hill - Night, 7:55 p.m.]

Everyone is exhausted.

Theo too, though he doesn't want to admit it.

I'm sure he is tired.

The last few days we've been walking miles and miles through a dark, creepy forest filled with creepy people when all we had to do was take the subway.

If we hadn't stepped inside the woods, I wouldn't have tried to kill a person today.

The voices have been driving me insane.

My head is ponderous and my thoughts are a tangled mess and I suddenly have the urge to smoke anything that can bring me a sense of peace.

My palms are cold with sweat and my arms are itchy and I'm scratching at them and I can't really stop.

I threw a quick glance at Neo and Axl, wondering if I'm the only one that's going insane.

And just as I was staring at them and was trying to read behind their expressions, Neo spoke up, his tone soft as always.
"Are you..feeling better..? Theo?"

"Yes, Neo" he paused. "Thank you for the concern"

I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or if he really meant what he said but Neo exhaled nonetheless.

Theo then sighed and turned to look at all of us dead in the eye.

He extented a hand forwards, his face void of any emotion. "That's the end of the forest. You should be able to find the clinic on the other side"

"Well" Ender stepped towards Theo who immediately got tensed. "It was.. interesting to meet you. We appreciate the help"

Theo gave her a simple nod and looked away from her.

"Thanks.." Neo mumbled and begun approaching Ender.

Axl also nodded at him and I was left last.

I stood awkwardly across him, still scratching on my arms which had turned red and bloody at this point.

"I-" I started but he raised his head to look at me and I lost my voice once again.

I made an attempt to approach him and apologize once again when his arm got wrapped around my neck hard, holding me in a chockhold and the metallic feel of a gun was cocked against my skull.

I froze completely against his body, my own turning numb.

Everybody snapped their heads around at the commotion and also halted in absolute shock as soon as they noticed that I was being held at gun point.

I gulped, my heart racing hard against my chest.

It beats so loudly and fast that I can hear it pounding against my ears.

"W-what-" I trailed but he cut me off.

"Shut up" his cold voice echoed on my head and I can feel my eyes starting to water.

Shit, the voice was right.

It was right and I completely ignored it.

All I could do was wait for Theo's next moves, utterly still.

Ender's eyes couldn't be more widened. I can tell that she wants to help me but she doesn't know how and that's driving her mad.

Axl simply looks angry and frustrated while Neo is staring at the scene with scared and uncertain eyes.

"Leave him alone" Axl glared at him.

"No can do. But what I can do is give you a choice"