Chapter 3

[Cleveland, Ohio - Outside Forest Hill - Day, 2:06 p.m.]

MISHA

"Should we think this idea through?" I glanced at the entrance of the Forest Hill Park, nervously. "I mean, taking a cab would be smarter than walking through a creepy forest"

"Ah, look at that. Misha is right for the first time in his life. Great achievement. I'm calling an uber" Ender pulled her phone out.

"No.." Neo gulped, his eyes glued at the forest in front of him as well. "We need to follow the voices.."

"All three of us got the same command. I think this is serious" Axl spoke up while scratching at his shoulder.

"This shit is getting crazy, man. Why would this voice want us to go to that clinic through a random forest and not by a freaking bus?"

A moment of silence.

"I'll tell you why. Because it's dangerous. Because this voice is digging our graves and we follow it blindly" I turned to Ender. "Come on, Der. We are going home" I grabbed at her hand and begun walking away when a sudden sharp pain pierced through my brain making me stop dead to my tracks, the pain excruciating.

"Misha?" Ender's eyes were widened.

Stay.

"Hey, you okay?" Axl walked to me, Neo on his trail.

I rubbed at my head. "I'm fine" I mumbled and continued walking when it hit me again.

"You're not fine. What's wrong?" Ender asked, the worry evident on her voice.

Go through the forest.

I curled my fingers into a fist and took a deep breath.

I turned around to glance at the woods again.

"It's not letting me leave.." I murmured, anger and anxiety blending with each other and creating a pit in my stomach.

"The voice?" Axl asked.

I nodded. "It felt like someone sliced my brain in half with a saw"

"Wait, wait" Neo butted in the conversation. "Your voice just..hurt you because you didn't want to follow it?" His eyes were widened.

I glanced at Neo and then away. "I think it did exactly that"

"Damn" Axl ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

"Remind me again why am I a part of the voice club" Ender whined, fear strucking her as well.

I bit at my bottom lip. "you're right, it's my fault. It's all my fault. I should have never-- you should leave and I'll find you in a couple of days. Okay?"

Ender raised an eyebrow at me. "When have I ever let you make dumb decisions on your own? If you go down, I go down with you. I'm just being dramatic because I'm scared"

"Are you..are you guys like..together?" Neo's shy voice was heard.

Ender and I shared a quick glance and both burst out laughing at that, forgetting our problems for a few precious seconds.

"What do you think?" Ender asked, a grin still plastered on her face.

Neo got so embarrassed that his cheeks flashed red at once. "I feel stupid now" he mumbled, finding interest at his feet.

Suddenly, Axl cleared his throat. "sorry to interrupt this joyful moment but are we forgetting something?" He pointed at the entrance.

"Getting thrown back to reality by force is not appreciated" my nerves intensified again.