chapter one

chapter one - independence day

GOTHAM CITY PARK
JULY 4th — 12:01 EDT

"what's it with these guys and targeting random people?" dick grayson asked. "i'm all down for terror but, like, at least terrorize someone who's wronged you."

bruce wayne looked disappointed at the comment.

"look at him!" dick continued, gesturing to where mister freeze was disturbing picnics and families alike. "does he really have to do that? he is turning gothamites into gothamitesicles and for what?"

"so why don't you go stop him?" bruce growled. something about being in a giant bat costume in the middle of day seemed to anger him.

dick smirked, pulling two bird-a-rangs from his utility belt and flinging them at the costumed man. they both hit his cold gun, letting the remaining civilians escape from the park. it was all in the flick of the wrist.

mister freeze glared at the bird-a-rangs before seemingly realizing that they meant trouble and looking around anxiously. it was sorta funny, in a mean way. but, then again, he had just killed (or at least really injured) a group of civilians, so the animosity probably evened out.

dick jumped out from where he and bruce were watching from, landing in front of mister freeze. he smiled sweetly at the man, pulling another bird-a-rang out.

"boy wonder? frankly, i'm underwhelmed."

dick threw the projectile between his eyes. or rather, it would've been between his eyes if it weren't for the oxygenated fishbowl that was his head. if not for the fact that it kept him alive, it also served. lady gaga would definitely wear it.

the fishbowl cracked down the centre and mister freeze shrieked. he pulled up his gun, aiming it at dick's chest. the ebony shrugged, opening his arms as wide as he could.

and yet the blast never came. this was most definitely due to bruce swooping down and punching that fishbowl hat until it came off in shards.

"you've gotta stop doing that." bruce gruffed, walking over to dick.

"doing what?"

"accepting criminal's shots."

"i could see you jumping in, b." dick rolled his eyes. "it's not like he was going to pull that trigger."

"one day someone will."

dick awkwardly looked away, landing his view on mister freeze, who was definitely choking to death from a lack of helmet. "you're gonna murder him by proxy."

"he's fine."

HALL OF JUSTICE
JULY 4th — 14:03 EDT

"how is it that the fastest men on earth are always late?" green arrow sighed, staring at the parking lot.

"it's because they're the fastest," dick explained. "they don't factor travel time in when planning and so they're always late. also, they get distracted really easily."

roy harper folded his arms crossed, imitating his mentor. "it was a rhetorical question, robin. are you a fucking dumbass?"

dick struggled to not laugh. seeing as he was in the presence of three of the most powerful people in the world and their mentees, it felt wrong. but, then again, he had pretty much known everyone since he was nine.