11

Greenwood Lake rarely had sunny days, but when it did there was a magical view wherever you went. However, they were unpredictable and could change rapidly. Friday morning was one of those days. As I threw on a pair of skinny jeans and a white vintage T-shirt branded Coca-Cola Colada along with a shirt thrown over my shoulders, I soon realised I had to take it off as we left the house. Some rain were, although, definitely welcome in the heavy silence that lay like a thick veil over us for the whole car ride to Aleensburg, but it never came. When we drove past the sign to Queen Margaret's Hospital, Mom opened her mouth for the first time.

"Do you want me to come with you?" She asked humbly.

"No, I'll just go in and say thank you. Won't take more than a couple of minutes."

It was a lie. Firstly, I'd leave the buns and then I'd head off to the cafeteria for some chocolate pudding before going straight to room CAH:3. At a minimum, it would take half an hour.

The hospital looked none the less than two days prior. Still overly sterile and bright, like all hospitals. On the third floor, a familiar figure stood leaning over the reception, speaking in a hushed voice with a man trying to work, but nodded occasionally to be polite.

"Harper."

The red headed girl turned to me and her smile brightened. "The flower!"

Ever since our second meeting, an evening when she'd sneaked in a left over croissant to me, she'd called me flower after my name.

"Weren't you permitted to leave?"

"Yeah."

"Already back?"

"Couldn't stay away."

"Good answer!"

"Would you mind letting me into the CAH department? I got something for y'all." I wiggled the bag, smelling lovely, in my hands.

Harper's eyes expanded. "What's that?"

"You'll see."

"You little tease!"

She unlocked the door and let us inside. Same old, same old. The reception down to the right, cafeteria straight a head down the corridor, the first doors to the left—upon where, among a couple others, Theo had a room registered under his name. And further down to the left, another corridor with rooms for patients stood—the same corridor I'd been assigned to.

Harper lead the way down to the reception where a curvy nurse with plummy highlights named Rosy sat. She smiled brightly as we approached.

"Hello, Rosy!" Harper shone with her joyful persona. "Look who's come all the way for a visit!"

Rosy's eyes laid upon me. "Well, well, isn't it Ms. Langner I spot with my spy eyes?"

I shook my head. "Sorry for keeping you up some nights..." I remembered how Rosy often had been the one on night ronds, meaning looking all over when me and Noah had snook away. "But, as compensation for my mischievous behaviour during the longest five days of your career, I brought cinnamon buns and blueberry pie with a hybrid sauce of vanilla and whipped cream—it's the bomb, I swear."

The nurses giggled delightfully. "You and that other kid sure made my shifts restless—you kept me alert all night, I'll say."

I smiled awkwardly. "Sorry."

I gave the basket to Rosy and Harper who both thanked me more than I probably was worth. I'd only baked the pie and one didn't exactly need a masters degree to accomplish that. It was literally only blueberries, flour, oats and sugar. To make it a little more tasty, I added a crumb of salt.