Unholy

I would die a thousand lifetimes before marrying Vero- that was for sure. And yet fathoming the consequences of upstaging him terrified me, how my father would react as the red devil turned her back on the mafia lord.

I shuddered at the thought- marriage was meant to unify us and yet this pairing was set to destroy and divide everything we had. Vero had no claim on what was mine- and one day I would take everything that was mine and find some solitude, perhaps to spend my days dreaming about my life that could have been with an Italian mafia prince.

That pathetic, irritating, trouble-making, dangerous, sexy prince. I cursed myself for almost admitting the feelings I'd compressed within me for that man. For a man I'd never see again after I told him to leave. To never come for me again to prevent one of us killing the other. To keep knives at each other's throats to uphold some long-held rivalry between our mafias.

The last few days had passed in a blur as I made every attempt to forget what had happened and what was about to happen this evening. My wedding.

I remained rooted to the spot as Zoe fussed over the billowing black dress- one final deception against my father, against Vero who I knew would grin like an animal at the sight of the unconventional black dress. Black for a bride who vowed to bring death to everyone who failed her- a most unholy union indeed.

"I'm sorry." I muttered to Zoe again- as much as she'd pleaded to be my maid of honour, I made sure she had a seat at the back of the hall, safe from the judging eyes of mafia members.

"Like hell she isn't." I had screamed at Vero who had announced my most loyal friend wasn't allowed at the wedding as all the seats were reserved for mafia accomplices.

She was safer at the back, to be able to get out quickly if things quickly took a turn for the worst- which I knew they would.

I had no maid of honour, no bridesmaid or gushing women trailing after me. Everyone would see me as I was- the red devil, crowned in a dress of midnight. I wondered what my mother would have said to her daughter being married off to a Belgian runt. Half-Belgian I supposed, considering Vero had hardly known his mother who had been a woman his father had found in the states until she was killed in some mafia crossfire. Another woman who hadn't deserved the death handed to her by mafia men who had no motivations other than power and money.

But my mother was dead too. And dead women had no words to speak, no battles left to fight.

I was on my own, I repeated to myself as I made my way into the vast cathedral- selected by Vero's father. That much was obvious as I eyed the archways and sky-high ceilings decorated in dazzling lights and costly decorations undoubtedly to signal his wealth. As if the entourage of sleek vehicles outside hadn't been enough. I had no time for a mafia pissing contest, to see who had brought the most cars, the most expensive gifts or signs of wealth.

The attendees comprised of mostly men, circling the alcohol like vultures, the guns strapped to the insides of their suits so obvious that I wondered if trust had ever been a concept that existed for the Belgians- for any mafia man.

My father arrived after I had already entered, looking effortlessly dangerous and the sort of handsome that any man his age could be- despite the scar that snaked down the left side of his face. I didn't turn to look at where Vero's father sat and yet I knew he was there- almost felt the weight of his eyes, the near-silent words that were muttered. The first time I'd spoken to him was only a few days ago, the markings of his Belgian heritage obvious in his thick accent which was hardly noticeable for Vero- the only language he was fluent in was being an ass.

I made no notice of the turning heads, the words of encouragement Pax and Zoe muttered to me before fading away. There was just me, walking to the sound of the orchestral symphony- a tune that made yesterday and tomorrow fade into nothing as I became lost in my own thoughts.

"You look dazzling, my bride." Vero grinned at his own words, making no attempt to hide the ravenous expression on his face. His large build was dressed in what looked to be a velvet tuxedo coupled with the diamond cufflinks at his wrists. I supposed his face could have been handsome were it not for his animalistic attitude. His mocha-coloured hair had been cut short as well as the slight stubble on his chin.

"You would look better in a zoo." I snapped back, keeping that painfully fake smile plastered across my face as Vero continued grinning, clearly overjoyed that he'd won in his relentlessness to claim me.

The live orchestra halted their symphony as Vero's father headed up to what was meant to be an altar as Vero and I faced the crowd full of expressions of intrigue mixed with fear. A pindrop silence enveloped the cathedral as I wondered how Vero's father had been ordained to carry out a wedding ceremony- another piece of information I hadn't known. Not that mafia lords had any regards for the rules, I remembered as his deep voice filled the chamber, going on to speak words about union I had no interest in listening to.

"We celebrate a union of power today, a union of the future..."

I'd made my choice last night. I was made for greater things than being Vero's pet. And they would all know it, regardless of the consequences, of the hell that would break loose. Perhaps the cost for my freedom was my life- but the price of living this life was better than one dictated by others who sought to supress my power.

I dared one final glance at Zoe. At Domino. At Pax. Who all had their lips sewn with disapproval and fear for me. At the inevitable blast of power I made sure they would all feel one day- a cost for binding me to the man who now faced me, the smug expression on his punchable face.

"Of course, as nobody objects to this marriage..." Vero's father continued speaking as I gently dug my nails into Vero's callused hands as I put mine in his, waiting for the final declaration that would bind me to him forever.

"I object." The cool voice filled the chamber as my heart dropped so quickly I feared my airway had become compromised.

This was not part of my plan.

I could have sworn the room spun as I risked a glance at the source of the voice I knew I recognised. Father and Vero would kill me. The guests who gasped with surprise would all lock me in here with no escape to suffer for my resistance, for my rebellion against them all.

Ash

I almost cried out at him in joy for coming, in anger for disobeying me. I wanted to scream at him for getting us both killed by coming, by throwing his life away for me when I could do nothing to save him now. And yet somehow I instinctively felt myself wanting to move towards him. To damn the consequences as I wish I had the other day. To rectify what I had tried to break between us and take back everything I'd said.

"Who is this?" Vero's father hissed, his voice reverberating across the hall  as I could hear my father beginning to boom orders, men already reaching for their weapons.

"You bastard." Vero's undiluted rage made the altar beneath us tremble as he began to reach for his gun. I knew his rage would extend to the end's of the earth for his vengeance. But everything came at a cost- and I knew this time I'd empty every bank of the world to keep the wickedly handsome face that began to kneel.

The room went silent for a moment as Ash spoke words that became the beginning and end of everything, his dark eyes swimming with longing and his usual expression signalling trouble- something that could never be contained.

The silence that had no beginning and no end almost suffocated me, compelling me to wonder if my ears had deceived me as I heard those words, his impish smirk etched into my mind as it drove me to the verge of insanity.

"Venus Castellanos, will you marry me?"

• • •

jheez see you soon for the next chapter! Please drop a comment or vote if you liked this chapter:)