Retrogade

Domino

"Please, Zoe." I begged, tears making my vision blur as I watched her chest barely rise and fall. 

I knew Myra had us by the fucking balls when the American mafia sent their vehicle to 'rescue' Zoe from the brawl. Perhaps we'd make it in time to a hospital, anywhere where they could save her as her limp body continued to bleed in my arms, the life in her draining with every second that passed. 

Perhaps they were dead. Myra, Vero, Ash, Pax, Venus and everyone I'd left behind. Maybe this was another trap orchestrated by my father or Vero or Myra- I couldn't tell at this point. 

But I kept clinging onto the shred of hope that kept me from falling apart, held onto the hand of the bravest person I vowed to never leave again. 

"Can you drive any fucking slower?" I snapped at the agent behind the wheel, ignoring the rifles pointed at my head. I didn't fear death anymore, not my death at least. After all the shit we'd been through, I knew it was far from over. But with the only people in my life who I could call family were being destroyed by the mafia life they never chose, I knew death would be a mercy when mafia killers turned the world into a living hell. 

I made a silent prayer that we'd survive to get through this so I could speak the worlds left unspoken with Zoe- and repay the bastards who did this to us. 

And as my bleeding friend swayed between the boundaries of life and death, I screamed at the oblivion that faced us and the despair that threatened to consume me. I vowed to do anything in return for them giving Zoe a shot at life as her eyes remained shut as if sweet death had already claimed her. 

I prayed this was over soon- for it would be a destructive day in hell when Venus Castellanos and the Italian mafia lord set the world alight in their vengeance- or destroyed themselves in the process. 

And that was what I feared. 

___

Venus

"He was mine to kill, you bitch." I hissed at Myra, already angling my dagger to swipe at her face.

"Vee, we have to go." Ash yelled from somewhere afar, suddenly drawing my attention to the swarms of agents that began to pool into the area in an attempt to outnumber us.

"I will fucking kill you-" I began, firing a fluent string of curses at the smug leader of the American mafia.

"You won't kill me, Venus Castellanos. Not when the life of your friend is in my hands." Myra spoke casually, but the wicked fire in her eyes told me she would set the world on fire just to burn me.

"Where have you taken Zoe, you motherfucking bitch?" I seethed, moving forwards to bury my dagger in her throat as Pax moved to hold me back from behind. 

"Kill me, and that bitch won't live another hour." Myra spat at me, her copper hair contorting in the wind. 

"You're going to fucking die for this." Despair threatened to make me collapse as Myra's smug grin invaded my mind, the stream of her agents and god-knew who else was coming after us. 

"All in good time, Castellanos." Myra smiled back at me, a smile so artificially sweet it would have been venomous. 

"What do you even want from me?" I asked the leader of the American mafia- money, power and glory she already had, to some extent. If she envied the red devil, she could get in the fucking line behind my other enemies. But somehow I couldn't shake the feeling I was missing something- as if my father, Myra and every agent who sought after us had an ulterior motive. Myra was out for blood- and this was personal, I knew it.